20

“It’s still in the experimental stage, so it may not be very stable yet, but still! I had to do it this way because I might get hit by Helena…”

“Thank you, Louis.”

I bowed my head, and Louis waved his hand dismissively.

“It’s no big deal. Ah! This one isn’t disposable, so you can use it two or three times. Well, then, I’ll be going! I’ll find out more about those slave traders.”

With those final words, Louis disappeared using teleportation. I cherished the communication device, feeling once again the greatness of magic. What an unexpected windfall!

Today was definitely a day filled with good things.

“I’m late…”

Confirming that the sun was setting, I quickened my pace. I had to get home before Sion started worrying.

A few days ago, I declared that I would help Sion regain his memories, and since then, Sion has been devoting even more effort to me.

“Oh, that’s right.”

Come to think of it, I should have given Louis the gummy bear candy. But well, they had said he bought all the candies for the founding festival, so I didn’t need to worry about it.

* * *

The dark room was filled with the pungent smell of blood. A man, beaten and tied up, sat on a chair, facing a person in a mage’s robe.

“So, you were trying to capture a male slave with silver hair and red eyes?” the robed figure asked.

“Yes, yes, please spare me,” the man pleaded.

“I don’t know anything! I was just following orders…”

“I don’t care,” the figure replied coldly.

In an instant, a concentrated mass of mana formed and pierced through the man’s thigh, causing him to let out a scream as if his life was about to slip away.

The man in robe, who watched him indifferently stepped forward as he pulled back his hood, revealing a calm-looking individual with brown hair and brown eyes—Louis.

“Scum,” he muttered.

With a swift kick, Louis struck the unconscious man, then used magic to erase any traces in the room. He left the scene, deep in thought.

Louis had managed to intercept one of the slave traders a few days ago based on the information he had obtained from Rosette. However, the captured slave traders provided little useful information. They were either too scared or genuinely unaware of the details.

“He’ll probably die soon too,” Louis sighed, running his hand through his hair. If he had a little more time, he could have extracted more information from the slave traders he captured, but the situation had become complicated with the palace knights getting involved.

They couldn’t afford to delay due to the Emperor’s determination to eliminate all crimes before the founding ceremony.

“Where are you…?” Louis ruffled his hair and muttered. If the slaver genuinely did describe his superior… His superior’s description matched the person with silver hair and red eyes. He was a man blessed with an obscenely handsome appearance, possessing all the beauty in the world.

His superior was cool-headed and skilled at scheming. It was unimaginable that such a ruthless person had become a slave. Louis couldn’t bear to think about it. He shook his head, denying the reality before him, while his heart trembled with unease.

“He just ran away because he didn’t feel like working…” Louis murmured, desperately hoping it not be true. He shrugged off the thought and forcefully pushed it away.

The vivid image of the moment when the protective magic barrier of the Magic Tower was engulfed in a strange black magic resurfaced in his mind. The researchers conducting experiments had rushed out in a panic. And his superior vanished without a trace, leaving behind a pool of blood on the floor.

Louis refused to believe that his superior was dead. With such immense magical power, his superior must have sacrificed himself for the sake of the Magic Tower’s mages. The black mage vanished along with his superior’s disappearance, confirming Louis’s suspicions.

Louis wiped his damp eyes with a handkerchief and stood up. He put on a determined expression and placed a gummy bear candy in his mouth.

Crack.

The sound of the candy breaking resonated harshly.

“Just a little… please wait, Sir Kiris,” Louis whispered.

Even a 1% chance couldn’t be ignored in their current situation. Louis had made up his mind to move forward with the assumption that the slave was indeed his superior.

‘He said he was with Roshite,’ Louis reminded himself. The best course of action was to meet face to face, but Rosette had shown signs of concealment. Carrying an illegal slave made it highly likely. Louis’ brown eyes narrowed.

“I should ask Helena for help.”

Since both of them shared similar tastes, it would be better to use Helena as bait. Luckily, Helena’s magical weapon had been working, so Rosette had promised to give her a novel. Helena would be completely oblivious to what was coming her way, but what could he do?

Finding his superior took precedence.

Louis rationalized his decision and took out a communication device.