3

It’s already been two months since I started enjoying my newfound blissful life. When I first moved in, I spent a lot of time tidying up the large house.

‘Fortunately, the previous owner kept it clean.’

The house was larger than I had imagined, and as someone who knew the reason why this house came up for auction, I couldn’t help but clean it. But well, I’ve developed an interest in cleaning, so it was fine. Tending to a small attached garden made time fly by.

“Is this enough?”

After working on the garden, I did some stretches and got up. It’s time to enjoy some tea alone. Sitting by the sunlit window and looking outside brought me simple happiness. It was delightful to savor my tea with a relaxed mind.

When I entered my abode, I took a gander at the fabric laid out on the sofa. It seems as if today, I had more work than usual, especially considering that I performed said work while enjoying tea.

After I possessed Rosette, I discovered something new about myself. Although I thought I was just a talentless nobody, it turns out I had a knack for exceptional craftsmanship.

‘It was considered a talent in itself.’

That was why I was able to find a stable job.

‘Aunt* Celia sees me as a daughter, so I have to work diligently.’
*t/n:Aunt as in Ahjumma, not blood related.

Celia assigns me sewing tasks, looks after me in various ways, and treats me as her own daughter.

That was considered luck. I washed the dirt off my hands and went to the kitchen. And while looking for tea bags, I murmured, “Ah…When did they all run out?”

There wasn’t a single tea bag left among the previously accumulated mountains of tea bags.

‘I usually drink at least two cups.’

Going to the city on foot would take time, and as a commoner, a carriage was viewed as a luxury. I brewed black tea with the final tea bag. As the steam rose, its fragrant aroma tickled my nose.

“Ah…How nice.”

Picking up the teacup, I relished the aroma before taking a sip. Undoubtedly, black tea tastes best when brewed to perfection. The afternoon sun outside the window gently settled, and enriched my tea time with a pleasant sensation. The breeze softly entered through the slightly ajar window, enhancing the overall cozy ambience.

‘Serenity is truly the best of all.’

As I lived like this, thoughts of my family occasionally crossed my mind. Candidly, I have some attachment to them, perhaps because they were the family I couldn’t have in my past life.

However, as I expected, they didn’t make any attempt at finding me.

‘They couldn’t find me since I didn’t leave any traces…’

Of course, I had no intention of going back.

‘Unless they kneel down and beg for forgiveness, who knows.’ I smirked and glanced into the distance. Excessive serenity also proved to be troublesome; which is why I occasionally allowed myself to indulge in whimsical thoughts like that.

“Ah, my life…”

Thud!

Suddenly, there was a loud noise as if the ground shook, and I swiftly rose from my seat.

“…What was that sound?”

This peaceful and cozy abode has never experienced such harsh noise. Located in a picturesque area, it was quite isolated from the neighborhood, making it difficult to seek immediate assistance if something occurred.

“I heard the sound from the hill… ”

As moments passed, the noise gradually subsided. Everything soon died down, as if nothing had happened. Yet, I couldn’t let my guard down. If something had happened on the hill, the nearest place of interest would be my house.

I was frightened to the core, but I felt a sense of duty to protect the home I cherished, the place where my hopes and dreams resided.

What’s going on? I couldn’t just leave this matter alone! I mustered my courage as I grabbed a broom and prepared to venture outside.

It might seem hasty, but when it came to my own home, my sincerity was without a doubt.

Creak!

I carefully opened the front door and surveyed the surroundings. It was silent now, as if the sound I heard earlier was a mere illusion. Still, I had to be cautious!

I circled around the house and headed towards the hill.

Rustle!

Then, from the nearby grassy forest, I heard an unfamiliar sound, and I stopped, on edge and alert.

“Who’s there?”

I asked several times, approaching with caution, but there was no answer. I took a few steps closer.

“Gasp!”

Suddenly, a figure collapsed in front of me from the tall grass. Startled, I swung the broom vigorously with my eyes tightly shut.

Thud! In response, I heard a groan of pain.

“Ugh…”

As I vigorously tried to dust off the dirt, I momentarily froze when I heard the sound. Upon opening my eyes, there was a man in front of me, bleeding from his side, struggling to speak while desperately looking at me.

“S…save…”

But before he could finish his sentence, the man lost consciousness.