38

“Should I find your owner? Like last time, at the temple…”

“Kiing!”

At the mention of the temple, the fox instantly darted under the sofa, hiding from my reach.

“Alright, alright. I won’t take you there. Then should I keep you with me?”

“Kiing.”

With a nonchalant response, the fox whimpered as if to say, ‘Yes’. It made my heart race.

Ah, my heart. Its cuteness captivated me and spurred me to make the impulsive decision to raise this fox.

“Okay, I’ll take good care of you, little fox.”

“Kiing!”

The fox circled around me joyfully, and I couldn’t help but smile happily.

“Yes, yes.”

I chuckled softly and hugged the fox tightly. The fox wagged its tail happily, and after a while, it closed its eyes, looking sleepy.

As I watched its adorable sleeping form, a thought crossed my mind, and I sighed softly.

To think of it, I needed to give it a name. I couldn’t keep calling it ‘fox’.

“I’ll give you a name.”

The fox opened its eyes, looking at me expectantly. Its shimmering eyes seemed to be filled with anticipation.

“Did you also want this?”

“Kkiing…”

With a positive response, I sifted through numerous names and picked the one I found the most beautiful.

“Well, how about Fluffball or Fluffy? Which one is better?”

Contrary to my expectation that it would wag its tail happily, the fox turned its head away, avoiding eye contact. I looked at it with a slightly shocked expression.

“…You don’t like them? Oh, then how about Snow*?”

*TL/N: Supposed to be 하얀/White but I thought Snow sounds like a name people would suggest as a pet name.

The fox glared at me, then exhaled and closed his eyes.

“Are you tired?”

I caressed the fox, feeling a sense of warmth. It looked so lovely to me.

Yes, I’ve decided on it!

“I think Snow would be good.”

The fox twitched its body, but I dismissed it, thinking it was just mumbling in its sleep.

“Of course, my naming sense is excellent.” I exclaimed to myself and brought Snow into the house, placing it on a soft cushion. It seemed like I had an innate talent for this.

“Sleep well, Snow.”

Feeling proud, I put Snow to sleep and began to work.

* * *

The next day, Mary, who arrived at work a little earlier than usual, was taken aback when she saw Snow confidently occupying the living room.

“Miss, where did this adorable creature come from?”

“It was wandering around our neighborhood last night. Since it didn’t have an owner, I decided to take care of it for now. Isn’t it cute?”

“Wow… Can I work here for a lifetime? I’ll work without pay. I’m good at cooking, and I have some experience as a full-time maid, so I’m confident in my abilities.”

Suddenly, Mary clung to me, suggesting a lifetime contract. No, what’s happening here?

I managed to calm Mary down, and she looked at Snow with a somewhat burdened expression. But Snow had already fallen asleep with its eyes closed.

“What’s its name?”

“Snow. How is it? Isn’t it pretty?”

Mary looked at me in astonishment. There seemed to be a hint of tears in her eyes, as if she were deeply moved.

“No way; did you come up with the name? Oh, please say you didn’t.”

“Yes, I did.”

Upon hearing my words, Mary briefly had a stiff expression, then clapped her hands and smiled brightly. Her excited tone seemed to convey genuine happiness.

“Ah! That’s why. I said it was so pretty. The name Snow suits this cute creature, like fluffy cotton.”

Mary praised me repeatedly, pulling me up. I smiled with a sense of accomplishment.

“That’s right, I’m good at naming things.”

“Yes! How can I keep up with your naming sense?”

Mary approached Snow stealthily, gently stroking its fur and twisting her body in delight.

“A lifetime contract…”

I left Mary, who seemed to have malfunctioned, behind and sat on the sofa. I had to finish the repairs I couldn’t complete earlier.

I needed to earn money!

That was when it happened.

“Growl!”

Snow suddenly broke free from Mary’s touch and growled towards the entrance.

Knock, knock, knock.

At the same time, a regular and polite knocking sound came from the entrance.