Chapter 34

The buildings on pack lands were all in good shape, which wasn't too much of a surprise. They were new, having been built within the last year.

The pack consisted of about two hundred members. Not a large pack, but big enough. Two hundred people were a lot of mouths to feed, and bodies to shelter.

They'd done quite a bit of construction too, Dominic noticed, taking in the many homes and other buildings that dotted the land. He wondered if someone in the pack was a builder or if they'd hired outside help. That was one thing that hadn't been noted.

The pack house was spectacular and quite large, and she remembered reading in the notes that it had been the first thing built so that those who had switched packs would have a place to live. 

There was a large porch and Dominic parked the rental nearby, pulling the brake and turning off the engine. He walked around the car and opened Natalia's door, then offered her a hand. She took it and climbed out. They walked up the steps to the porch and stopped. 

"Do we knock?" Natalia asked, eyeing the closed door.

"They know we're here now," Dom said quietly.

She looked at him.

There's a camera here at least, he linked her. Over my head. He'd noticed it the moment they'd approached the steps. Someone was watching them.

Natalia glanced up at it subtly, then looked around as they waited.

The door opened a moment later, and an older woman stood there, looking at them both with a frown. "Can I help you?"

Dominic studied her for a brief moment. Older she-wolf, and probably the house keeper. She had dark hair pulled back in a tight bun and brown eyes. She eyed them both warily.

"I'm Dominic Beckham and this is Natalia Remington-Seely. We're from Regal Eclipse and here to meet with your Alpha," Dominic said with a warm smile, hoping to put her at ease.

Her eyes widened and she bowed her hair. "Please come in." She opened the door, and Dominic and Natalia walked inside to a long hallway with a staircase along one side leading to the second floor.

She led them over to a small room off the hallway. "Please have a seat. I will let the Alpha know you are here." She eyed them both for a moment, almost as though she wanted to say something, then turned and left. 

Natalia looked at Dominic and he gave her a soft smile. He felt very uneasy in this place, and would be happy when they were on the plane and headed back home.

She returned ten minutes later, with a tray and sat it down on the table. "Refreshments," she said. "Alpha Anthony is aware you are here and he is taking care of something at the moment, but will be down shortly." She turned and left the room again, but not before giving Dom a meaningful look.

Dominic frowned, unsure what he thought of all of this. His gaze darted around the room and he wondered if there was a camera anywhere. None that was visible, that was for sure. Natalia, if you want to say anything important, do it through mind link.

Okay. You think the room is bugged? I don't see any cameras.

Doesn't mean they aren't there. He picked up the bottle of liquor that had been left for them and eyed it, reading the label. "They're brewing their own liquor?"

Natalia walked over and sat down across from him, picking up the bottle herself and reading it. "Maybe they're giving Kentucky a run for their money."

"Quite possible," Dom said. He liked Kentucky Pack's bourbon quite well. Is it sealed?