Chapter 22

The exhibition was full of people begging for my attention

          The exhibition was full of people begging for my attention. But my eyes sought out a certain woman, clad in a blush pink dress, her shiny straight hair pulled into a loose hairdo that had delicate tendrils framing her face.

She was rather simply dressed for the event, in comparison to almost everyone else, who had put on the fanciest thing they could find while still sticking to the cocktail dress code. She didn't need the ornery accessories to make her shine, for even in her simplicity, she drew eyes everywhere she went.

If I had to guess, I'd say Sarah was very much aware of this.

It was amazing really, how people gawked at her, yet moved away from her path when they saw her coming. I had rarely witnessed anyone elicit that kind of reaction from people, though it was the second time I was witnessing it with her.

Fame attracted people. And so did power. Like moths to a lit candle, people swooped in, without a fear of getting burned. They couldn't help it. But with Sarah, the fear won. It was like they wanted her attention, but were afraid to seek it.

I didn't have to wonder why. The stories of her brutally turning down people, whether in a personal or professional capacity were infamous.

"Rumour has it, that the Sirwāh government is collaborating with Artemis." Ignazio Fontana said in his lazy drawl. He was one of our private clients from Texas, with ties to the defense industry.

I didn't respond to his insinuation but did turn to look at him, to let him know I was listening. I could afford a few seconds break from watching Sarah. Not because my eyes were tired, it was quite the contrary. I was enjoying watching her so much - observing each of her delicate moves, her smiles, and her fiery eyes - that I needed to look away if only to avoid the risk of falling into her spell.

"Oh, I heard that too." Fredrick Nakamura added, "Is it true?"

I tilted my head slightly by way of response. "If it is, you will obviously know."

Ignazio let out a nervous laugh, "in that case, I must warn you she's hell to work with. The devil reincarnated, some will even tell you."

"But she compensates in other ways. I've heard she's no less than Cleopatra with that golden mouth." Fredrick, pointed towards his lips, tracing a circle in the air with his forefinger, "if you know what I mean."

I did know what he meant. I'd heard those rumors too, but having lived in this world long enough, I knew they were just that.

Even if they weren't, it still didn't allow these men to mock her this way. It was utterly disgusting, making me want to knock some sense into these worthless men. With my fist.

"Thank you for that information." I said with a forced smile, "I'm sure it'll be useful. In return, I'd like to offer you some advice myself."