Chapter 18: Part I

"What happened to your face?" Ammi asked the moment I stepped into the palace, the next morning. She took my face between her hands and began turning it at different angles, to inspect it better.

"Nothing happened ammi." I tried to step away from her hold while thinking of a plausible excuse. If she found out the real reason why my face was red, she'd be furious. Well, as furious as she was capable of being.

"No something did happen. It's red here." She pointed to the place where Saba had slapped me last night. For someone so small she packed quite some force.

"Did somebody punch you? Did you fight?" She asked frowning, "It wasn't Saturday, so you didn't have your boxing session, then what....."

"Ammi." I took her hand from my face and caged it between my own. " it's nothing forget about it. Okay?" In an attempt to divert the topic, I looked at the food laid out on the garden table. " what do you have for breakfast?"

She gave me a suspicious look but relented. I sighed when she began pouring me some coffee and listing off the breakfast items. I'd already eaten, but I was willing to eat again, just to avoid talking about last night.

"Ammi, is bhai here?" Saba came out and ran to give me a hug when she saw me. But she stopped, staring at my face. " bhai, what is this?"

I sighed and shook my head. " nothing Saba." I said with a warning look. Fortunately, she understood and didn't ask more about it. She sat down beside me and quietly asked, "Ay you okay?"

"not now," I answered in a lowered voice.

She gave an apologetic look and began to butter her toast.

" good morning everyone." This time it was Hamid, who came running along the pavement that circled the palace to the front. "Miss me?"

"Just saw you yesterday, so no." Saba was quick to reply.

" who asked you little demon?" Hamid said, snatching the toast Saba had buttered for herself and was about to eat. " I wouldn't miss you even if I didn't see you ever."

" ammi." Saba whined, both at Hamid's words and action. " that was my bread."

" so? There are so many more. Make another one."

" no, I want that one." Saba insisted, "It was mine, I want it back."

" okay okay, demon." Hamid made a show of giving it to her, before snatching it back and stuffing the entire thing in his mouth in one go.

Saba lunged to stop him, but failed. " ammi." She stomped on her foot, before marching over to Hamid and punching him.

" ahhh that hurt.....aaahhh I'm dying." Hamid mocked her.