Chapter 17

My hand hurt

My hand hurt. The knuckles were raw and bruised and there was a sharp pain shooting up the wrist of my right hand.

This was just the cherry on top of the perfect day I'd been having. Everything was going wrong. First that fight with Andy in the morning. Then another one, because he wouldn't let me go back for the site inspection.

And the incident at the beach where I lost my hat to the ocean, when a wild gust of wind blew it away while also simultaneously ruining my book, by causing me to drop milkshake on it in a desperate attempt to save the aforementioned hat.

By the time evening came, I was so worked up, I just decided to get ready and go hang out at a club. Alone. It soon turned into bar hopping instead, because I simply couldn't find a place that had both good music and vibe and was free of creeps who made me feel uncomfortable. It was mostly the latter.

I thought I'd finally lucked out when I'd been at Club Trilogy for about half an hour and the bartender hadn't tried to hit on me. So I just sipped my Diet Coke and danced as much as I could. The music was exactly my type - dance numbers, without unnecessary EDM remixes and I was enjoying myself on the dance floor.

Everything was going so well until I met the princess there. She was celebrating one of her friend's birthday and I honestly should've known better than to hang out with her even for a minute. Cause these royal people were always trouble in one form or another.

Besides I didn't want to think about the fact that now her brother had witnessed me having a panic attack. What if he told her? And what if they made fun of it or gossiped about it over a cup of coffee. Wouldn't be the first time when someone made fun of my trauma. It was quite common amongst a certain strata of the society to turn other people's tragedy into hot topic of discussion for their personal entertainment.

But like I said, I was frustrated. With my life. With men. With people in general. So I let her drag me to the dance floor. I never said no to dancing anyway.

It was then that things took a turn for the worst. I should've known it was coming, because when was the last time I'd had a relaxing moment in my life without it having been ruined by something or the other? Never.

Some guy decided to creep up on the princess and dance way too close to her for comfort. She tried to tell him no, even tried moving off the floor for sometime. But he was back when she was, even an hour later. By that time I'd seen enough and decided to step in. Of course, being a man he had the audacity to smile creepily at me, like my warning meant nothing.

Finally all hell broke loose when he grabbed my ass. I punched him back. He grabbed my hair and yanked it backwards when I tried to walk away, so I punched him again. He might've been bigger than me, but I was far more experienced in hand to hand combat than he was. Besides he was drunk and had made the mistake of taking me for a weak opponent.