Chapter 20

"Okay, so the final plan will be based on the soil and stability test

  "Okay, so the final plan will be based on the soil and stability test. But these are the four options we're going to choose from." I turned to my team, whose eyes were fixed on the screen behind me. Quickly they scanned it, before focusing on me.

"Good job everyone," I said, turning the upper half of my pen, to close the nib. "This is my first time working on a project with this branch directly, but I'm heavily impressed with the professionalism, the commitment, and the merit everyone has shown up to this point. From here on only one team will get their plans approved, but considering your hard work, all four teams will get bonuses."

The faces of my employees lit up immediately. But no one smiled openly or showed any excitement. It had been like this since I got here. A quiet hush had shrouded the entire building. People had been on their tiptoes - observant and alert.

Apparently, it was because of me. This branch had been established three years back, but I'd never come here before. Andy handled everything on the side of the business. Yet, my absence had not deterred news about me from traveling here. As they said, my reputation preceded me. Everyone in the office was scared of my temper and of getting fired.

Or at least that was what Yusuf, the COO of this branch told me.

I had several nicknames in all of our branches. They were as varied as the countries those branches were situated in. I wondered what they called me here, and if they'd ever see me as something more than an evil boss.

Honestly, as long as the work got done they could call me any number of names they wanted and I wouldn't give a shit.

"Does anyone have questions?"

Everyone shook their heads. But I could sense the hesitancy in some.

"This is your last chance to ask something. I won't be answering anything later on." I told them, and let them absorb that information. Finally, after a few moments, one of them raised her hand.

A girl. Naina, I believed her name was. She was in her late twenties and worked in our R&D department.

"Yes?" I looked at her, expectantly.

"I....uh..." she stammered.

"Without the fillers, Miss Malhotra."

"Sorry ma'am." She looked down sheepishly.

"Don't apologize, just ask your question."

"Umm...ma'am we're going to work with the government on this project....and umm.....his highness, Sheikh Haider would be signing off on it.....so me and umm....some of us were wondering if we'd get to work with him...if....if our plan is chosen."

And this was the other thing that had been running over the office like a plague. The obsession with Prince Haider. That man was everywhere in this city. No matter where I turned, he was present in one form or another. But it was even more annoying when he was in my own workspace, lingering there like a stubborn ghost.