Chapter 9

" what is this?" I asked when Andy placed a small square box on the centre table

" your favourite carrot pudding." He replied, plopping down on the couch. For some reason he looked extremely pleased with himself.

" carrot pudding?"

" yeah. Carrot pudding. Gajar ka halva....." He said distorting the pronunciation. It had gotten better over the years, but he still had that damn accent to it, which made it sound found and ridiculous.

He began to open the box, and turned it towards me, pushing it in my direction, " and here it is. Your favourite authentic carrot pudding."

I looked at the container with the orange sweet, then back at him. " why this favour?"

" favour?" He shrugged, " can't I just want to feed my sweet little best friend who also happens to love sweets?"

" when was the last time you brought food for me Andy?"

" last month? I don't Sarah....." He answered with hesitation, " but it doesn't matter anyway."

" it does." I glared at him, " you're trying to bribe me. And I don't like bribes."

" bribe?" He acted all innocent, " I'd like to think of this as more of an apology."

" for what?"

" for how I spoke to you yesterday. I know you didn't like it."

" do you now?" I asked and he nodded.

" I was stressed."

" hmm. Because you've been managing things yourself. While I'm idling away."

He shook his head. " you're taking it the wrong way Sarah. That wasn't what I meant."

" what did you mean?"

" nothing." He emphasised, " it was something that slipped out because I couldn't think straight. You're just having your first vacation in ten years, you're entitled to it."

" then why did you involve me in the project Andy?" I asked ruefully. I was still mad about it, specially after what I'd woken up to this morning.

" this is a crucial project Sarah. I was just trying to keep it from getting derailed." He leaned across the couch and put his hand on mine over the armrest, " I swear I didn't mean anything by it. You don't have to involved in it anymore okay. I'll make it clear with the royals."

I pulled my hand and leaned back in my chair, my mind drifting to the things I'd learnt and wondering if I should tell him.

When I didn't say anything, he sighed and began to close the box and take it away, " I guess I'll eat this myself then." I knew he was baiting me, and I kinda fell for it. I mean who was I kidding, I was a slut for desserts, specially if it were Indian ones.