Chapter 8

" I've placed the tracking devices in their cars." I told Riz on the other end of the screen. " and the wireless hack also connected to their phones."

" to Sarah's phone as well?" Hamid asked in surprise. I nodded. " how did you manage to get her alone and within five feet of her?"

I didn't bother to answer him. I was in no mood to speak about the evening I'd just had. " how soon can you get it working?" I asked Riz instead.

" I'll get on it now." Riz answered, " the hacks should be completely functional by tomorrow. And the tracker will start immediately."

I nodded. I didn't understand much of the technical terms, but what I had gathered from Riz was that the hack had to be turned on after it was planted on a device remotely by being in a five feet radius of that device. Once connected it acted a lot like a virus that multiplied and spread to devices connected over the same network. It gave us access to information stored on those devices, to do with as we pleased - extract or destroy.

" fine. Let me know how it goes." I disconnected the call without any further word.

" you didn't answer my question bhai."

" I don't want to talk about it Hamid." I told him, pulling my own chair back and pouring myself a lads of water.

" it was that bad, huh?" Amusement laced his voice.

" the demonstration went well." I said instead, though I knew that wasn't what he was talking about.

" what did Sarah do you spoil your mood like this?"

What didn't she do? " I have not met a more obstinate and aggravating woman like her." I ground out, downing the water, like it was a glass of whiskey. Sometimes I wondered if it would be easier if I just drank alcohol instead. I'd heard it had calming effects on the nerves. Would it soothe my agitation then, or just stir it even more?

" oh boy...." Hamid chuckled, " she did a number on you."

She did. And how.

I'd met so many people in my life who resented my title and position, but all of those people did so because they were jealous and craved it for themselves. If given a chance they'd happily take my place. But I never expected it from someone like Sarah Kapoor. I truly didn't. Despite the reputation she had, there was always one thing I admired about her and that was her conviction to stand by her words. Publicly or not.

Even Riz's investigation about her showed the same.

Never in my life had I imagined that she too would turn out to be someone who was just as prejudiced from the inside. A hypocrite. What was worse, was that she had no reason to be jealous of me and I didn't believe she was either. She simply hated me. Because I was a prince. She resented me for my very existence, when she didn't even know me.

" bhai maybe I should handle the rest of the deal from now on." Hamid said, dragging me out of my thoughts, " she likes me much better."

" no she doesn't." I returned, " do you even know what she thinks about me.....about people like us?"

" people like us?"

" the definition of privilege....." I recalled ruefully.

" what?"

" she hates us because as princes we're privileged." I told him clearly.

" we are privileged, bhai." Hamid asserted .

" never said we aren't." I countered, " since childhood we've been taught about our privilege. And how to use it for the betterment of others, not to misuse. We haven't ever looked down on people who don't have the same opportunities as us. Our privilege is also a responsibility, but she......"

" it's okay bhai. Everyone has their own opinion."

I sighed. " I know Hamid. But her opinion could very well go against us."

" you think.... She could join Az....." After all he thought the same thing as well.

" I don't know. Maybe."

Hamid took in a deep breath, the seriousness of the situation just dawning on him.

" either way, Hamid, you will stay away from her from now on."

" bhai..." he began to whine.

" no. With her way of thinking it's not going to work anyhow." And I wasn't going to let her hurt my family anyway.

" maybe it will. After all I'm not a prince."

I turned around and faced him. " don't. Ever. Say that again." I told him firmly, " you're Ammi And Abba's son, my and Saba's brother and a prince of this country. Do you understand?"

He swallowed before nodding, " yes bhai." His voice came out hoarse.

" good. Now go back home and don't be late tomorrow at the Expo."

" ammi will have my head, if I'm late." He joked and we both chuckled at that.

Hamid left and went to change. Sarah Kapoor kept returning to my mind like an obstinate ghost, but I pushed her away every time, concentrating on my work. couldn't actually be wasting my time pondering over what a woman thought of me. I had actual work to do. 

Thank you for reading