Part : 30 Burial ground

Author POV

Wei Wuxian, "If you don't know, I'll talk. As you listen to me, maybe you'll figure that you do know some things after all."

Nie Huaisang opened and closed his mouth a few times, unable to provide a response. Wei Wuxian proceeded, "In the area of Qinghe's Xinglu Ridge, there have been rumors of the 'Man- Eating Ridge' and 'Man-Eating Castle', but there haven't been any actual victims, which is why it's mere hearsay. The hearsay would make it so that normal people avoid the Xinglu Ridge. Thus, its real function is to act as a defense line-the first one, in fact.

"If there's a first, there must be a second. The second defense line is the walking corpses on the Xinglu Ridge. Even if someone who's not scared of the Man-Eating Castle rumors either purposely or accidentally went inside the ridge, after they see the walking dead, they will definitely flee. However, these walking corpses are small in number and weak in terms of power, so they won't cause any real harm.

"The third defense line is the maze array by the stone castle. The first two are to defend against normal people; only this one is to defend against cultivators. But, nevertheless, it only works against average cultivators. If a cultivator who holds a spiritual weapon or dog and specializes in maze arrays comes, or a cultivator as powerful as Hanguang-Jun's, this defense line will have to be broken."

"Judging from that, someone purposely spread rumours." said Lan Huang.

"But why would anyone do that?" questioned Lan fimei.

"I am not sure!" replied Lan Huang.

"Other than Nie's, who was even there that could spread rumours there?" said Wei wuxian.

"Genius as always!" muttered Lan Jingyi looking at his uncle.

"Let's see!" said Lan xichen.

"The three defense measures exist in order for the stone castle on the Xinglu Ridge to remain hidden from the public. The identity of the people who built the stone castle is quite clear. This is the Nie Sect's area. Aside from the Nie Sect, nobody else is capable of easily setting up these three obstacles in Qinghe. And, moreover, you happened to appear near the stone castle and leave evidence."

"What exactly is the QingheNie Sect's goal of building the Man- Eating Castle on the Xinglu Ridge? Where did the corpses in the wall come from? Were they eaten? Sect Leader Nie, if you don't give us a proper explanation here, I'm afraid that, after the secret is exposed, all of the sects and clans come here to interrogate you. When the time comes, even if you want to explain things, there won't be anyone to listen to or believe in you."

Nie Huaisang replied desperately, as if he had given up, "... It isn't a Man-Eating Castle at all. It's... It's just my sect's ancestral burial ground!"

"The hell?" exclaimed many Cultivators.

"Ancestors hall?" the eyes of Cultivators were now on Nie mingjue who looked speechless to say something.

Wei Wuxian questioned, "Ancestral burial ground? Whose ancestral burial ground buries sabers instead of corpses?"

Nie Huaisang responded with a sullen face, "Hanguang-Jun, before I explain things, can you promise me something? Seeing that our two sects have known each other for long and that our older brothers have sworn, no matter what I say after this, you... and the one beside you, must not tell anyone. If the secret is exposed in the future, I'd greatly appreciate it if the two of you can say a few good things as witnesses. You've always been true to your words. If you promise, I'll believe you."

Lan Wangji, "As you wish."

"Idiot!" exclaimed Nie mingjue as he glared at his brother who behaviour was getting out of hands.