Chapter 27: Taken

⚠️TW⚠️
(Please check comments to see specifics as it will spoil the content of this chapter if I put it here. If you don't want this chapter spoiled do not check the comments on this section!!!!)

Ash's POV:

Once Evelyn had drifted to sleep I slowly pulled away from her body and got out of her bed.

I had a little bit of work to do before I could go to sleep so I left her room, heading to my office.

On my way out of her room I ran into Josh in the hall.

"Hey you're back" I said.

Josh turned at the sound of my voice. He looked tired and upset.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

He didn't respond right away and my worry grew.

"Your parents?" I asked.

He nodded "Yeah" he said, his voice shaking. "Yeah, they um...They want me to move home. To the city. Quit my job and move in with them so I can reconnect with the church"

I ran a hand through my hair, trying to think of the right thing to say.

"They're going to take Lizzie?" I asked.

He shrugged. "They didn't say that specifically, but I'd assume yes. What am I supposed to do?"

I blew out a long breath. "I can't tell you what to do Josh. It would kill me if you left, it would kill Zach too. But it's your choice, whatever you decide we'll support you."

Tears shown in his eyes and I wished I could fix the problem for him. Wished I could just snap my fingers and make everything okay. But I couldn't.

I walked over to him and pulled him into my arms. He hugged me back and I felt his body shake as he cried.

"I can't let them take her. But I don't want to lose you guys either" he whispered.

His voice sounded broken.

"Hey, you're not going to lose us, I promise. You don't have to live here to be our best friend. And who knows, maybe they aren't planning to take her if you say no. But if they do, we'll come visit. Whatever you decide you'll still have us so don't worry about that." I said, trying to ease whatever anxiety he was feeling about this.

Josh didn't move or say anything so I just kept hugging him until he was ready to let go. After a few moments he pulled away.

"Thank you" he said, wiping the remaining tears from his cheeks.

"Don't thank me. We're going to figure everything out." I responded.

He nodded. "Why are you awake anyway?"

"I've got some work, then I'll go to sleep."

He gave me a look.

"What?" I asked.

"You should sleep. I know you won't, but you should." He said.

"I know" I replied. "I will. After I finish I'll go to my room. An hour tops."

He was silent for a moment before nodding. "Okay, I always hated that you know"