Chapter 11: Soulmates

The tangy aroma of the red sauce spread across the kitchen as Y/N mixed the boiled pasta with the sauce in the pan. An awaiting Joshua watched her from the dining table as she cooked. His chin rested on his palm as he sat on the chair observing her.

"Here, have it."

Y/N handed him the plate of pasta she had been cooking for an hour.

"Finally! I thought I would have to wait till tomorrow."

He teased her as he slurpped down the first bite of pasta.

Y/N watched him eagerly her eyes showing curiosity about her culinary skills. Joshua stopped biting as he looked at her with a blank face.

"How's it?"

She asked as her arms rested on the dining table as she stood across him.

"It's..good, Y/N. You should be a chef in the future."

He smiled at her eyes crinkling appreciating her.

"Is it?! Let me have a bite!"

Y/N tried to grab the fork from his hand but Joshua pulled away.

"No, I'm not letting you have any of it. It's mine!"

He raised the plate on top of his head trying to escape from her.

"Why? Let me-"

She pulled the plate down as she hastily took a bite. Her curious expression turned into a disgusted one as she ran towards the basin to spit out the food.

"Shua...this is very salty."

"It's not. Look I am still eating it."

He took another bite. Y/N pulled the plate towards her.

"Hey, I was eating-"

"Stop the act, Shua. It is salty. You could have told me. Why are you eating it?"

"Y/N, I saw you cooking for an hour. Your efforts would have gone into vain if I said that I didn't like it."

He spoke softly as he passed her a smile.

"Since when did you become such a gentleman huh?"

She wiggled her eyebrows teasing him. Joshua's cheeks produced blush as he felt nervous.

"I was always one, a gentleman."

He chuckled his fingers curling into a soft fist as he covered his mouth with it.

"Oh really?"

"Yeah- Y/N, leave me!"

She head locked him as he struggled to pull out from her strong grip.

Their laughs echoed in the house as it was empty. Y/N's father had gone to work, her mother for shopping and Jungkook to school.

Y/N and Joshua loved each other's company. They were best friends. They were soulmates. They encountered each other for the first time when they were like 5 year old kids.

Flashback (to when they were 5)

The playground was full of small kids as they played around. Some on the swing, some played on the slide as some ran around playing with their respective groups. Jeon Y/N was one of them. She ran behind the group of kids giggling. Her hair tied in two little pony tails as she wore a pink dress which made her look adorable. She had rosy chubby cheeks which were pinched by adults earning a disapproving face from the little girl. Unaware of the obstacle in her away, the little Y/N tripped and fell down due to the stone. Her knee was bruised and the wound stinged a lot which made her burst into tears. Y/N started crying hysterically due to the pain she received.

"Hey, strong girls don't cry."

She heard a voice next to her. She stopped crying and looked towards the little boy who was wearing a plain t-shirt and shorts standing.

The boy observed her knee as he crouched down and tied a napkin to the wound which he removed from his pocket. Y/N silently observed him as he blew air to the wound.

"Look, it will not pain now. Are you with your mom here?"

He asked her.

"No, I came alone."

She said softly her face still stained with tears. The little boy with the help of his thumb wipes the tears left on her face and makes her stand up.

"Come, we will go to your house."

He tried to pull her towards the exit of the park.

"No, mom said not to go with strangers."

"I'm Hong Jisoo or call me Joshua and you are?"

"Jeon Y/N."

"Look, now we are not strangers. So tell me the way to your house."

Y/N nodded at him and guided him towards her house.

Jumping a little, Joshua pressed the bell button as the sound echoed through the house indicating someone's arrival.

The door opened revealing a lady which he assumed to be Y/N's mother. The lady saw both of the kids standing hand in hand as her eyes landed on her daughter's knee.

"Y/N, what happened to your knee?"

"She fell down, aunty."

Joshua said which made her look at him.

"And you are?"

"I'm Hong Jisoo or Joshua. It's nice to meet you."

He bowed down at her in a respectful manner.

"Come inside you both."

Her mother offered. As they both went in, Joshua saw a familiar lady sitting on the sofa.

"Mom, what are you doing here?"

"Mom?"

Y/N's mother frowned.

"Mrs Jeon, this was the Joshua I was talking about, my son."

She chuckled and went near him.

"But what are you doing here Shua?"

She asked him eagerly as he narrated her the incident.

"Looks like our kids are already friends!"

Mrs Jeon laughed receiving a laugh from Joshua's mother too.

"We will get going now."

Mrs Jeon nodded at Mrs Hong's statement.

"Y/N, since we are neighbours now, will you come to my house to play? I have swing there."

"Swing! I love swing!"

The little girl exclaimed as both the mothers adored the sight in front of them.

Walking out of the house, Joshua held his mother's hand as he questioned her.

"Mom, why were you there?"

"I went to meet our neighbours and give them rice cakes."

"Why rice cakes?"

He asked his eyes showing curiosity.

"It's a tradition, shua."

He hummed at her as they continued to walk towards their house.

End of the flashback

Y/N chuckled as she reminisced her childhood memories with him. Joshua was the person who would always be with her. He was the one whom she leaned her shoulder on. Who never judged her when she shared her problems. Who always cared for her and loved her. He was a special person to her whom she had promised to be with forever.

......