Chapter 16

That felt so humiliating! I can't believe that happened! I didn't expect someone to randomly shoot water at me, for in her words, "fun" when it was meant for Kacchan. Did he see my tail? I curled up into a ball while I was in the tub. I peeked from my arms and saw the water was getting a little too high from the tub.

Luckily, I was right by the faucet of the tub, so I turned it off. Then I quickly went underwater, laying down on my back. It all happened so fast in my mind. It was terrifying for me, not only that, but it made me consider that I should've been left and abandoned in the first place.

It's funny, at first, I didn't want to be kicked out of the place, but now I just want to escape. Why am I like this? Is it because of the human that I like or is it because I just expect them to just throw me away? After all, after a few months of staying with someone, I would be told to leave or go somewhere else if I felt too comfortable there. Could that be it? Am I afraid of being left alone again?

I don't know. There's just so many thoughts going through my head all at once. Mixed feelings about leaving, and staying, and it'll all jumble up in my head where I can't make a decision. I always expect myself to take the blame, take any punishment, and deal with it. That's easy to do because if you don't fight back, there's no chaotic outburst or an extensive punishment if I just go along with it.

I wish I could stay underwater forever so that I don't have to see anyone else. I don't think I even want to leave this bathroom. How could I get over what just happened a few minutes ago? Would I even be able to face Kacchan again? Will he give me a look of disgust and call me a monster?

I poked my head out of the water for a moment but went halfway back into the water with only my eyes and hair not underwater. I blew out bubbles from my mouth and watched as bubbles came sprouting out of the water. The door opened, which made me raise my head and shoulders out of the water as I scooched away from the edge of the tub.

Kacchan came in with his eyes closed and was holding towels for me. He uses his free hand to close the door behind him. "Just tell me when to stop if I'm getting near the tub," he ordered calmly as he started walking over to me.

Half of me wanted to say nothing and let him fall into the tub to get soaking wet, while my other half didn't want me to see him hurt. I went with my other half. I spoke up when it looked like he was close enough to me. "You're good right there." He stopped in his tracks and bent down to set the towels by the tub. I thought that'd be the end of that, but then he didn't get back up on his feet.

Instead, he got on his knees and kept his eyes closed. He doesn't have to stay, but I want to be left alone right now. I don't want to face or see him. I'm sure he's still closing his eyes because he saw my form and thinks that I'm hideous. "Deku, I didn't see you transform. I'm telling you the truth. I had no idea Pinky was hiding and when I was just about to turn around, I noticed the water gun in her hands and turned back away quickly. Honest."

"I don't believe you."

He sighs, "I understand." Huh? He's not mad at me after what I said? "I only wanted to check up on you, but obviously, you still don't want me to see your merman form. How bad could you look in your form?"

I let out a groan as I leaned back in the tub. This is ridiculous. I can't be mad at him. I mean, I'm the one who told him I don't want to show him my tail and he used to be so angry about it and now he's just willing to accept it. Humans are so complicated! Why would we even kiss if I'm just going to be thrown away??

Why? Why? Why! Why is he still here?! I collected myself as I averted my gaze from his face with his eyes still closed. "I'm fine. You don't have to check up on me, but thanks for the towels anyway. I appreciate it." Please just go away. With a quick look, I managed to steal a glance from him and he still had his eyes closed. "Kacchan, please just leave me alone. Why aren't you leaving me alone…?" I felt my voice croak out. What just happened? Why did I ask him like that? Like I'm a whore who's desperate to not be thrown out.