Chapter 58 : In the shadow of history

"Hands off, Davika," I said, swatting her hand away. "Get your own."

Davika chuckled and reached for another piece of sushi, ignoring my protest. "Oh, come on, sharing is caring," she teased, popping the sushi into her mouth before I could stop her.

"Davika, seriously," I warned, my voice firm. "If you take another piece of sushi from my plate, there will be consequences."

Davika raised an eyebrow, her eyes twinkling with mischief. "Oh, I'm shaking in my boots," she teased, reaching for another sushi roll.

I narrowed my eyes at her, my patience wearing thin. "I'm not kidding," I said, my tone stern. "One more time, and you'll regret it."

Davika flashed me an innocent smile, "Hey, don't blame me if the sushi tastes better on your plate," she quipped.

"When it comes to food, I don't share," I declared, sliding my plate closer to me protectively.

Davika laughed in response, raising her hands in mock surrender. "Okay, okay, noted," she said, grinning. "Your sushi, your rules."

As we continued to chat and enjoy our meal, I savored every bite of sushi, reveling in the flavors.

Finally, we finished our meal and headed back to the office to resume work. Walking side by side, we strolled down the corridors, engaged in light conversation. Davika, true to form, held the door for me as we entered the hall, a small gesture that never failed to bring a smile to my face.

Despite her penchant for cheesy jokes, I couldn't help laughing at her silly antics as we walked along. Her humor, cheesy as it was, had a way of brightening my mood, and I found myself chuckling along with her.

Moving along the corridor, Davika put her arm around my shoulders, trying to ruffle my hair. I laughed and waved her off, but our moment of levity came to an abrupt halt when we spotted Engfa ahead of us, her tablet in hand, observing our approach.

I froze in my tracks, my laughter dying in my throat as I came face to face with Engfa's piercing gaze. Sensing the tension, Davika quickly withdrew her arm from my shoulders, looking uncomfortable. The atmosphere around us was becoming increasingly awkward.

Engfa approached us, her steps deliberate, and cleared her throat before speaking. "Charlotte, I've been looking for you," she said.

I swallowed nervously, "Oh, um... I'm here," I replied, trying to keep my voice stable.

Davika glanced between Engfa and me, broke the silence. "I'll leave you two alone," she said, giving me a small smile before turning to leave.

But before she could take another step, I stopped her. "Wait, Davika," I said, holding out the bag containing my leftover sushi. "You forgot your sushis," I added, handing her the bag with a smile.

"Thanks," she said, smiling wider. With a quick nod of thanks, Davika turned and headed off down the hallway, leaving Engfa and me.

Watching Davika disappear down the corridor, I returned my gaze to Engfa, only to discover that she was already watching me.

Gathering my courage, I decided to break the awkward silence. "So, were you looking for me?" I asked.

"Yes, I wanted to discuss some aspects of the marketing budget with you," she replied, her tone more relaxed than before. "Would you mind coming to my office? It would be easier to explain things there."

I nodded in agreement. "Of course," I said, mustering up a faint smile. With that, Engfa turned and began to walk towards her office, and I followed closely behind.