Chapter 41 : intertwined hearts

"Here, take this," I said, offering her the small white pill and the glass of water.

Engfa blinked owlishly, her eyes still heavy with sleep as she reached out to accept the offering. "Thanks," she murmured, her voice hoarse from the effects of the alcohol. She swallowed the pill with a grimace, washing it down with a sip of water.

I glanced at Engfa, a furrow forming on my brow as I posed the question that had been nagging at me since last night.

"Why didn't you let me know you were going out to the club?" I inquired, my tone a mixture of curiosity and concern.

Engfa met my gaze, her expression apologetic as she offered her explanation. "I'm sorry," she began, her voice tinged with regret. "My phone died, and I didn't plan on staying out so late. It was all very spontaneous."

I nodded in response, not wanting to dwell on the issue any longer. "Do you remember everything that happened last night?" I inquired.

Engfa looked at me as if she were afraid she had done or said something wrong. "No, I don't," she replied, a hint of concern in her voice. "Did I do something wrong or say something?" she asked, her expression reflecting genuine worry.

"Are you sure you don't remember anything at all?" I asked, furrowing my brows slightly.

Engfa's expression turned more serious as she replied, "I swear, I don't remember a thing. What happened?" She seemed genuinely concerned, her eyes searching mine for answers.

I sighed softly, "Never mind," I said, shaking my head. "It's nothing."

Engfa furrowed her brow, her expression filled with concern. "I can tell something's bothering you," she said softly.

"I'm just tired," I replied, forcing a smile. Then, without waiting for Engfa's response, I headed towards the living room.

She stood up from her seat and gently held my arm, her expression serious. "Can we talk about what happened last time, in the bathroom?" she asked.

"Wow, Engfa Waraha wants to talk," I said, my tone dripping with sarcasm. "That's a first." Despite my attempt at humor, there was an underlying tension in the air, a sense of dread at the idea of revisiting the events of that night.

Engfa's voice was firm, cutting through the sarcasm with a sense of urgency. "Stop it, Charlotte," she said. "We haven't had the chance to talk about it, that's why."

As I made my way towards the balcony, frustration seethed within me, bubbling to the surface. "Whose fault is it, huh?" I shot back, my voice edged with accusation. "You've been avoiding me all day, all evening, only to find you getting wasted at the club." The words spilled out in a mix of hurt and anger, the weight of our unresolved issues hanging heavily between us.

Engfa followed me out onto the balcony, her voice soft with remorse. She sat down beside me on the outdoor couch. "I'm sorry," she said, her tone genuine as she looked at me with sincerity in her eyes.

Engfa continued, her voice tinged with vulnerability as she acknowledged her shortcomings. "I know I'm not the best at communicating," she confessed, her eyes searching mine for understanding. "It's hard for me, but I'm trying," she added, hoping to make amends with me.

I took a deep breath, trying to gather my thoughts. "I need more than just silence from you, Engfa," I confessed, my voice trembling slightly with emotion. "Sometimes it feels like I'm just a toy to you, someone you sleep with and nothing more," I admitted, the words heavy with the weight of my insecurities.

"I need to know where we stand, what we are to each other," I explained, my tone pleading for understanding. "We never talk about us, about what this is between us," I continued, frustration lacing my words. "And every time I try to bring it up, you either shut down or brush it off like it's nothing," I said, the hurt evident in my voice. "I need more than that, Engfa. I need to know that you're serious about us, that I mean more to you than just a passing fling," I concluded, the vulnerability of my admission hanging in the air between us.