Chapter 49 : into the unknown

As I walked through the park, the chill of the New York winter seemed to seep into my bones. The trees, once adorned with vibrant autumn foliage, now stood bare and stark against the gray sky, a stark reminder of the passage of time.

Couples strolled hand in hand, their laughter echoing in the crisp air, a bittersweet contrast to the turmoil raging within me. It had been a month since that fateful call to Engfa, where I heard a voice that wasn't hers. Nudee had reassured me, claiming it was probably one of Engfa's assistants, but I couldn't shake the unease gnawing at my heart.

With each passing day, the pain of Engfa's absence seemed to intensify, a constant ache that refused to subside. I had hoped that time would blunt the sharp edges of my longing, but instead it seemed to amplify it. Every moment spent without Engfa seemed like an eternity, every day stretching endlessly before me. And yet, despite the irresistible urge to reach out to her, I hesitated, paralyzed by fear of what I might find on the other end of the line.

It had also been a month since I cut off all contact with Mew, determined to reclaim control of my life with the help of my friends. Their unwavering support had been my lifeline, pulling me back from the brink of despair time and time again. But even their comforting presence couldn't fill the void left by Engfa's absence.

But despite the doubt that lay ahead, I was certain of one thing: I had to find a way to reach Engfa, to talk to her, to finally lay bare the thoughts and feelings that had been inside me since that day. Only then could I hope to find some semblance of peace in this storm.

After my soul-searching stroll in the park during my lunch break, reality came crashing back as I returned to the office. Sitting at my desk, I couldn't help but glance over at Engfa's former workspace, now occupied by her replacement. The sight filled me with a strange mix of nostalgia and melancholy.

Nothing was the same without Engfa, both personally and professionally. Her infamous temper tantrums, her ability to strike fear into the hearts of everyone in the office, her icy demeanor in meetings—all of it was sorely missed. It was a strange paradox, to fear someone yet still hold them in high regard. Despite her intimidating presence, Engfa had earned the respect of everyone in the office, and her absence was keenly felt by all.

Lost in these thoughts, I resolved to throw myself back into my work. Mr. Alonzo had piled on a mountain of reports for me to review and correct, leaving me feeling overwhelmed and unsure of where to even begin.

As I sat at my desk, sipping my coffee and nibbling on a snack, my brow furrowed in concentration as I stared at the computer screen. Lost in thought, I was suddenly jolted from my reverie by the abrupt entrance of Heidi into my office. She appeared breathless, as if she had just run a marathon, causing me to startle in my chair.

"Oh my god, Heidi, what's going on?" I asked, my voice tinged with concern. "You've got to stop barging in like this. One of these days, you're going to give me a heart attack." Heidi struggled to catch her breath, attempting to speak, but her words came out in gasps, leaving me completely perplexed.

"Seriously, Heidi, why are you so out of breath?" I inquired, my worry growing with each passing second.

Heidi managed to catch her breath a bit and said, "I just came from a quick meeting with Mr. Alonzo and Engfa's replacement."

I looked at her impatiently, waiting for her to continue. "And what?" I asked, unable to contain my curiosity any longer.

Heidi finally caught her breath and leaned in conspiratorially, her eyes sparkling with excitement. "Okay, first things first," she began, her voice barely containing her excitement. "You won't believe it, but the new replacement for Engfa is absolutely gorgeous!" Her hand instinctively moved to her chest as if to emphasize her point, her eyes widening with emphasis. "I mean, seriously, Charlotte, she's like something out of a magazine. It's almost unfair how stunning she is," Heidi gushed, a hint of admiration evident in her tone. "I could hardly focus during the meeting. You'll have to see her for yourself."