Chapter 11

My tears were slowly flowing, as if cold water had been poured all over me when I saw it. They looked pale, with wounds and bruises on their bodies. I couldn't believe the reality that Agatha and Ailyn, my friends from school, were gone. Even though I only knew them for a short time, I knew they were good people.

I felt someone holding my hand, guiding me back inside the mansion. I was in shock and could hardly speak. Before we entered the mansion, at Mother's command, I saw people slowly covering them in white cloth. I locked eyes with Minato, and in that moment, my hatred for those like them, our true enemies, resurfaced.

That evening, Father arrived at the Mansion with Senora Quezca. They came from the Japanese soldiers' headquarters to investigate and clean up the tragedy that occurred. I don't know what to feel anymore, whether to believe in the reasons for their death or not. Nothing matters anymore, as there's no hope for them to come back to life.

"The children drowned in the river, along with their parents who were unaware that their children had sneaked out at night," Father began as we all gathered in the living room. It seemed like hearing such news was not new to me.

"This incident isn't anyone's fault; there's no one to blame for this," Father added, his voice heavy with disappointment. I couldn't muster any reaction as I listened. While everyone else absorbed Father's words, I couldn't bear it and quietly retreated to my room. Mother was about to call me, but Father stopped her with a solemn gesture.

"Mariela knows those children; they were in the same class," I overheard Father saying. The weight of everything happening in our town is wearing me down, and this war feels like it's stealing my happiness piece by piece.

"MARIELA, dear... wake up," I heard a gentle voice waking me up. As I opened my eyes, I saw Mother by the side of my bed. "We have somewhere to go," she said with a calm smile.

"You better hurry up; we've been waiting for you. You're always the one delaying us whenever we have somewhere to go," I heard Maya's voice. I saw her at my door, smiling at me, before she walked away and closed the door.

Somewhere to go? Where are we going now? I just got up, quickly took a shower, and changed clothes.

"Mariela, hurry up," Mother called out as soon as she saw me walking out of the mansion. I was surprised and stared in disbelief when I saw Señor Aurelio, our former driver. He's back again!

"Good morning, Mariela. I'm happy to see you again," Señor Aurelio greeted me with a nod. I couldn't believe he was back with us, and I was happy to see him again. I was about to speak, but Mother called me again. She was already inside the car with Maya and Florence, Maria and Elsie were in the other car. Father would be driving them.

"Where are we going, and why are we all dressed up?" I asked Florence in confusion. We were already on our way, and I had no idea where we were heading. Florence turned to me with a smile.

"We're going to Habog-Habog Salvacion to visit the Dela Vega Family," she explained. My eyes widened suddenly, and I stared into space. We're going to visit General Roco, which means I'll see Matheo again!

"I'm sorry, Mariela, for not telling you last night. I understand how you feel. It's better for us to be away from the mansion for now," I heard Mother's response. I looked at her softly, understanding her perspective.

It's been six months since I last saw Matheo, and now that we're about to meet again, I still feel nervous. I thought everything was settled between us, but why do I still feel the same way as before? I just held my head and closed my eyes, lost in my thoughts.

After five hours of travel, we finally arrived at Habog-Habog Salvacion. General Roco's house here is quite spacious. As we got out of the car, we were warmly welcomed by General Roco and Señor Alan. Father and Mother were happily catching up with them. Florence couldn't contain her smile as she reunited with Señor Alan. It's been a long time since they last met since we first escaped from Mount Bucari.