Chapter 6

THE FALL OF CORREGIDOR AND THE SURRENDER TO THE JAPANESE

May 6, 1942

The island of Corregidor was surrendered into the hands of the Japanese. It was surrendered by General Wainwright (who took over from Douglas MacArthur) to General Masaharu Homma (the Japanese commander-in-chief). Twelve thousand American and Filipino soldiers surrendered here. The Japanese announced that all commanders throughout the Philippines had surrendered to them. But I know it's not easy for them and Father to just give up.

With the fall of Corregidor, the last stronghold of combined Filipino and American forces, the entire Philippines also fell and came under the control of the Japanese. For the Americans, the fight was over, so they laid down their weapons and surrendered to the Japanese.

It's seven in the morning, and Father and I are heading to the river wharf to buy fish. Fishing is the only livelihood left for people now. Our cultivated crops are not being tended to as much anymore because there are no deliveries of products from Manila.

Upon our arrival at the river wharf, many are selling freshly caught fish, evident from their recent catch. They each have their own boats, and I see them fishing in the middle of the river. I'm just standing behind Father while he's busy selecting fish lined up in front of us.

After a while, a man suddenly arrives and approaches Father. I noticed Father's smile as he saw the man, and they embraced. It seems they have known each other for a long time, but I'm only seeing the man's face just now. They walked towards the river, and I followed shortly. When I got closer to Father, the man got off the boat. I saw him boarding the boat along with two women and two men.

They all looked at us now from the boat and the woman smiled, waving at us. We approached their boat even closer, and they walked towards us as well.

"Is that really you, Don Rafael? I'm so happy to see you again... How are you?" the woman said immediately, and I think she's the wife of the man who was with Father earlier.

"I'm also glad to see you again, Cesyl," Father replied with a smile, shaking hands with the woman. "Oh, Don Rafael, Cesyl always remembers you. We wanted to visit you, but we lost track of time due to fishing," the man called Drigo said.

"It's okay, I understand. So, is this what you're busy with now?" Father asked, looking at their boat.

"This is the only way for us to have something to eat every day. The Japanese are too oppressive; they conspire against our fields," Mang Drigo replied.

Conspiring against their fields? Could it be that they're also confiscating their harvest, like what the Japanese did in Purok Kwarto?

The woman named Cesyl suddenly looked at me. She smiled and then looked at me from head to toe.

"Who is she? Is she your child?" Manang Cesyl asked Father. Father looked at me now, and he was surprised that I was standing beside him.

"Oh my, I forgot about you, Mariela. I'm sorry, my dear," Father quickly said. I was right; Father forgot about me earlier, so I ended up following Mang Drigo and arrived here. "This is Mariela, my youngest daughter," Father introduced me to them.

"This is Mariela? I didn't recognize her. Your daughter grew up to be beautiful, Don Rafael," Manang Cesyl quickly responded, seeming to be in disbelief that I am indeed Mariela. I looked at them in confusion. Do they know me? But I'm only meeting them for the first time now.

"You probably don't remember us anymore, Mariela, as it's been a long time since we last saw each other," Mang Drigo said with a smile directed at me. "They are the De Anda family. Even when you were little, they were already working in our hacienda," Father added. I just nodded to Father, smiling at both Mang Drigo and Manang Cesyl.