Chapter 3 part 3

"Mariela! Hija, wake up," I heard Tia Lorna's voice attempting to rouse me. As I opened my eyes, I immediately felt a headache.

"What happened to you? Why is your eye swollen?" Tia Lorna asked, clearly surprised. I abruptly stopped, recalling what had occurred last night.

My eyes were swollen from crying! Jusmiyo, Tia Lorna shouldn't know that I had spoken with Minato last night, and she mustn't find out any more. Hastily, I covered myself with a blanket to hide my eyes from Tia Lorna's view.

"It's alright, Tia Lorna, please don't worry about it anymore," I simply replied. I could sense my eyes swelling and shrinking!

"Alright, I'll leave you here, and I'll be going," I heard Tia Lorna respond. I listened to the sound of her footsteps fading away as he left the room. It was a relief that she didn't ask any further questions.

Memories of last night and Minato's words flooded my mind. I still didn't know what to make of it, whether to feel sorry for him or not. It was the first time he had seen me cry, and the first time I had cried in front of a man. Jusmiyo! We weren't even close, I didn't even know him, and we weren't even friends.

I took a deep breath, realizing it was another new day. I needed to think about what I would do today. I was always like this, and it could get a bit boring. I couldn't continue being this way.

Determined, I got up from bed and gazed out the window, watching the sky.

"Gihigugma ko ikaw" (Minamahal kita) I love you, I said.

I recalled the song Father would always sing to Mother. I still remember how Father would sing it while making Mother dance. My siblings and I would just watch them.

Every time it's Mother's birthday, she doesn't want us to make elaborate preparations. All she desires is a simple celebration with the complete family. Mother met Father here in Iloilo. Mother's family is renowned for their skill in sewing, thanks to my Grandmother. Father's family, on the other hand, is known for their extensive sugar business. The Almanza Family invited the Granada family to their hacienda, where Father had the chance to get to know Mother more deeply.

Mother is shy, much like me, while Father is brave and has a knack for jokes. Mother is considered one of the most beautiful Ilonggas in Iloilo, which made it challenging for Father to win her heart. Despite his bravery, he also had a weakness for women. Mother was about to leave for America to reside there, but Father immediately confessed his love and expressed his desire to spend the rest of his life with her. Mother accepted his proposal, but still proceeded to America.

Father felt sorrowful, thinking that Mother would never return. My Grandmother, being a talented seamstress, became a member of a group of seamstresses in America who were in contact with seamstresses in Europe. In America, Mother felt that something was missing in her life, and she soon realized that her heart yearned for Father. She discussed this with my Grandfather and requested to return to the Philippines. Permission was granted, and that's when they reunited. Father could hardly believe that Mother had come back because of him.

From that point on, they got married. The Almanza family entrusted everything to Father, while the Granada family remained in America. Father and Mother's love blossomed, resulting in the birth of six children. Our family became happier and stronger during this time.

I looked at my right hand and recalled how I had slapped Minato last night. I shouldn't have done that because, like Mother, such behavior is not in our nature. I couldn't control myself in the heat of anger, but I never intended to strike him. I took a deep breath, gazing up at the sky.