Chapter 34

Why do I always have to be in a hellacious situation? A lone tear fell from her eyes as her face morphed in anger.

In truth, she doesn't like it, and she doesn't want it. The thought of killing him was too much; thus, she doesn't know what to do anymore.

That kind of feeling that you can do nothing but cry from resentment and frustration. She knew he would come for her because the mark would always lead him to her.

What can she do? What will she do?

There she stood for thirty hours and fifty-five seconds, unmoved.

It didn't take long for him to arrive at her location.

Their journey wasn't easy either. The location was so secure and rough, that they had to pass through a waterfall, it took him a while to find the secret passage. He just followed his instincts and fueled his determination to find her, and light came into view.

Thick, dense trees camouflaged the rogues' territory, which shows the purpose of a secretive lair.

They entered the wooden gate with his men, dominant and fuming. The gate was broken from its hinges, and blood leaked out.

A foul stench bombarded their noses, and some coughed when they saw the gory scene. It was a massacre, and body parts were everywhere, the same as they had encountered, there were missing heads. Somehow, his warriors thought they were leading his men to their deaths, but they weren't afraid of anything and showed a lot of assertiveness.

"Scout the area!" he commanded while looking at the gory sight. Thousands of headless bodies scattered their lair, this was it—the rogue's king lair that they had been looking for so long had finally been found.

The ground was like a huge red carpet of blood, waiting for him to step in. However, he could care less. His main concern was his mate.

The pattern of the massacre was her signature kill. She had defeated them all and found the most wanted rogue criminal. He proudly puffed his chest at that.

The warriors moved with stealth around the four-story mansion. It was far from welcoming. One look at it shows chaos and suffering.

He knew she was near.

She stared at her mate. The magnificently sexy man stood with regal confidence. The fucking sexy specimen was hers. Hers to hate and devour.

But she was stoic.

The view was quite a sight, she admitted as she unashamedly checked him out. His naked chest was glistening with sweat; his muscles were so enticing to squeeze; and those lips that she longed to kiss. She didn't realize how much she missed him or how long she stared at him and admired him, yet she was enjoying the view.

She took in a huge breath of his scent and closed her eyes, letting her lungs fill with his intoxicating scent. When she opened her eyes, their eyes connected, and as he looked up towards the window where she stood, Devan held an unreadable expression.

He took a sharp breath when he saw her small figure and didn't hesitate to use his superspeed to get to her.

He finally reached her on the highest floor, where the huge hall was located.

The morning sky shined brightly from the window, like how she is to his life, his light.

There she stood wearing a large bloodied T-shirt from a dead rogue's body, and it ended two inches above her knee.

She couldn't bear to look at him, so her gaze was still set through the window as the sun's rays pricked her skin.

They stood twenty feet apart.

"Isn't the sky pretty?" Her tone was soft. "Just like your eyes."

He didn't answer, nor was he amused by her compliment. She was safe, and she didn't run away.

Zainne could feel his intense emotion, and she didn't know what caused it. Betrayal? or hate? Maybe both.

Little did she know, he was jealous of the clothing she was wearing and how the sun's rays kissed her exposed skin.

She wreaked a rogue's scent, bringing out his inner possessiveness. She should wear his.

He doesn't know why, but he can't seem to move forward and cage her in his arms so that she can't run away from him.

"A happy family with a simple life is what I dreamed of. For so long, I longed to be protected and saved. However, I couldn't begin to grasp it. Even I couldn't make you laugh," she paused, "such a simple dream, but so hard to accomplish."

"Why?" His tone sounded firm, referring to the earlier event at his pack. He needed answers.

"Are you referring to the people I killed?"

Silence answered for him.

"It is what it is. It's what I'm built to do. He's dead. I took care of your people's worries." She gestured her hands towards the headless man beside her, but his eyes never left her form.

"I'm a monster, whom you are going to experiment with soon, I suppose," she added.

He flinched at her words. If he knew, that word wouldn't be uttered. He would never dare do that to her.

"I didn't know."

"I've been meaning to tell you my secret before. About my wolf, about being human. For you to not think of me as weak or unworthy. It was my last chance for you to accept me. But you were so eager to get rid of me. You wanted me gone, and you succeeded."

"No-"

"You made me realize that I deserve better."

"It was I who didn't deserve you, but I wanted you so bad that you couldn't imagine."

"It's the bond."

"No. My feelings are real. And I made a grave mistake. I couldn't handle my emotions well, and I took it out on you." He sorrowfully said. "Punish me as you desire; just don't leave me." He pleaded as he took a step forward. His hands were tingling to touch her soft skin.

She dryly chuckled at his words.

"How fitting." She stated with sarcasm that, after long hours of thinking, her decision had already been made. But his imploring words impaled her, making it even more difficult to pursue.

She gathered the courage to face him, trying not to shed a tear from the ache in her heart, and surprisingly saw his worry in his voice.

She didn't dare open the door to his emotions or feel their connection. She wanted to be void and needed things to be done soon.

"What was your reason? Why throw me away?"

It took him seconds to reply.

"Vulnerability," he said, looking to his side, averting her penetrating gaze. "When I saw you, I saw my weakness. I don't want to end up just like my family. I have lots of enemies, and I am afraid that I couldn't protect you. So I pushed you away. It was a promise I made before you even existed."

"Such a pathetic excuse. You were the most powerful Lycan of existence, the chosen one who'll protect your people and this human realm, and you are afraid that you couldn't protect me? That is because I was your weakness...You thought I wouldn't survive because I was a mutt in the werewolf community who you thought would die from your people's sneering and scrutiny. Well, one of them almost succeeded."

"She's dead."

"Whatever," she said, pausing for a while. "The thing is...Have you ever thought of my feelings?" She softly asked.

"I hadn't. Pushing you away that way was the stupidest decision of my life. I couldn't think clearly because you always clouded my thoughts. I-I couldn't be attached."

His words tripled her pain. So, he was speaking the truth. He thought of her as weak. He wanted a stronger mate, and she failed to let him see that.

No matter, things wouldn't have been the same. If he really wanted her, excuses weren't enough to define his vexatious behavior towards her in the past.

Nevertheless, he should have accepted her. If he claims to be strong and fearless, he would be willing to protect what's his. After all, he is known as the ruthless king they feared.

Coward...He was a coward.

Everyone has a rough past, it's only a matter of making the right choices and correcting the wrong ones.

It's not always too late to enunciate how sorry you are, and it's not always too late to forgive. Your prayers can always reach the heavens, and what is fated, is fated. There will always be time for that, even if you die waiting. However, it doesn't mean you will trust it again or give it another chance because there are what we call limitations.

"Have your feelings for me changed right now? Are you scared of what I have become?" He didn't answer and just looked at her possessively.

His feelings for her have never changed at all; in fact, they have expanded beyond measure. No matter what she is, she's still his. How can he convince her? The last time he uttered what he felt, she didn't believe him. What will he say? He could let her feel his emotions because hers were heavily guarded and blocked.

His silence spoke a thousand words to her heart. One of them screamed love.

"I won't forgive you. I will never forgive you."

A pained expression morphed on his face.

"You don't need to forgive me. All I ask is to be with you again, to have another chance to make things right, and I will spend the rest of my life making up those years. Please, love. Give me a chance to have a fresh start with you. Let me be selfish again."

"I think it's too late for that, Devan," she paused, and averted her gaze away. She uttered his name softly, which was music to his ears, he longed to hear his name from her mouth. "I made my choice. You can't die." Her last words confused him.

"What are y-" she didn't let him finish when she extended her claws, maimed her mark, and slashed her throat.

"NO!" He shouted and ran to catch her collapsing form. His trembling hands coated her blood as it continued to spurt.

"No...no...no...Zainne, baby, what have you done?!" He cried out. "YOU CAN'T DO THIS TO ME!"

"Alpha!" Thalia called out. "What-" she gasped.

"No! Please, love. Don't you dare close your eyes!" He commanded. He laid her body on the floor as he pressed the crook of her neck to put pressure on her wounds.

Maiming your own mate's mark is a promise of death. It shows a refusal to accept or sacrifice.

His tears flowed nonstop, dripping on her cheeks.

Zainne has to make a sacrifice; she knew too well that her beast could overpower the mate bond and possibly kill him. She couldn't allow that.

Because she found the meaning of love again. To sacrifice oneself for him to live shows how deep her feelings are towards him, but he wouldn't know that.

"I-I'm s-sorry," she choked her words and cried weakly.

She was sorry because she couldn't be with him. She was sorry because she couldn't bear to forgive him. She was sorry because she had to leave him, for good. Her teary eyes bore his.

"Shhh...don't speak. Please hold on. Focus on breathing." He applied more pressure to her neck. "Where is the fcking doctor?!" He roared.

"They're coming, Alpha," Thalia tremblingly said. They were a few hours away, as the location they were at was hidden and unfamiliar.

"Fck! Why didn't you heal yourself?! You're indestructible, aren't you?! A scratch on your neck is nothing, no?" He panicked.

At that moment, the last thing she could show was her sad smile. Sadly, he could not mirror hers as his angelic face cried above her.

"Don't leave me, please," he implored in between his sobs.

Now he was vulnerable, not that he cared. His warriors surround them ten feet away with their backs in their view. Protecting them from any sign of danger but, at the same time, grieving.

Looking at the man she once loved as the table turned, he cried for her. She used all her remaining strength to feel his emotions.

Just, this time.

His strong emotions were raging and bombarding her heart with so much love and compunction that she gasped hard.

He was genuine. If only he had accepted her from the start; if only he had still time to fix their relationship, then everything would be okay, everything would be perfect.

She felt warm from his undying love, it was what she needed to feel before her last moments with him. Even with his broken expression, his handsome face didn't cease to amaze her.

Just this time, let me look at you with greed.

With her last glint of a sad smile faded, it didn't take long for her eyes to go...soulless.

Their bond shattered into a million pieces. The ache in his heart was unbearable as he gasped for air and squeezed his chest in pain.

She was gone.

"NO. NO!" He lightly shook her shoulders. "Zainne? Wake up, love..." She didn't blink or struggle to breathe anymore. "No..." He whispered and sniffled.

"What are you standing there for? Help her!" shouting at his men.

They couldn't move. The loss of their queen also affected them, as the twined Luna bond snapped. They could do nothing but bow in pain.

"Please, Zainne. Wake up," his trembling hands caressed her cold cheeks.

"P-please..." He implored, sounding broken. The pain he was feeling was unfathomable—nothing like he had felt before.

Like his soul has been ripped apart, and it just did. She was his other half, after all.

He brawled his heart out and cried for her.

This time, she won't ever come back.

~This is all your fault, human! YOU KILLED HER!~ his beast howled in pain.

He didn't deny it. He deserved the pain, the hate, and his loss.

My fault.

He can never see her smile, smell her scent, or touch her soft skin.

It's all my fault.

There was nothing to feel or rekindle when the only hope of life he had was gone, lying lifeless in his arms.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry." He whispered on the crook of her neck, where his mark was forced upon her.

It should have fixed their relationship.

One question floated in his mind.

What is life to him now?

His warriors eyed their king with sympathy and worry. They knew how a mate's death affected them. It will bring them to shallowness and depression to such length that you'll wish you'd die after her.