Chapter 31

"I like the way you stare at my lips; I can see the hunger in your eyes, or is it the other way around?" He teased as he watched her eyes avert and waver.

He was so close; close to kissing her, but her shocked expression and trembling stance upset him. Zainne's assertive and aggressive behavior was falling apart, and he wasn't sure if it was a good sign or a bad one.

Before he could lose control, he quickly walked away with heavy steps, not taking another glance.

Her eyes followed his retreating figure, bewildered.

What the f- was that?

~He's being possessive. That was super hot tho~ her wolf purred.

~Can you just shut up? I'm still mad at you.~

To say that puzzling thoughts were void, and it was clear that she kind of blamed the mate bond again, she felt that she was possessed every time she was pressed against him or when their skin touched. It ignited excitement within her. A strong sense of excitement that she couldn't begin to fathom, leaving her too stunned to think rationally.

A narrow hallway felt never-ending as cold air nipped her skin as she shivered slightly. Zainne wanted to be out of the pack house, which she thought was the best way to think clearly. She didn't know where she was going and absentmindedly followed her gut, which now led her to a garden. A breath of fresh air would be nice to replace her clouded thoughts from uncertainty and be a better way to avoid seeking his intoxicating fragrance.

The blooming petals of the flowers released a refreshing aroma that did the trick to distract her mind while her nose was searching for something she detested.

The view felt picturesque. It was still the same as before, but this time, it was giving her a sense of nostalgia. Her eyes lingered at the spot where she once cried—the spot where she usually stares at the moon—and she prayed and asked for the above's help.

She thought of herself as hopeless, naive, and a fool at those times. She scoffed when hopeful thoughts resurfaced vividly, not satisfied with her old self.

She stood idly and absentmindedly stared forward in a daze.

"Reminiscing the old times?" she didn't answer. "We used to hang out here. You were full of pain, even though you tried to filter your sadness. Back then, I was contemplating whether I should've given you the best actor award, hoping it might cheer you up."

"Can you still see right through me, John?" She didn't look at him. "Can you still see my pain? Or you're just trying to spark a conversation?"

"All I see is anger and revenge in your eyes." He paused for a while. "So, how's the life of a rogue? Oh yes, I'm trying to spark a conversation."

"Fun and challenging. I get to eat wolves' heads for free," she nonchalantly said, as if it were normal to her.

"Wow. Ummm...moving forward. Welcome back."

"Regretted asking, beta?" She quirked her eyebrows at him and briefly glanced at his chill posture.

"No, but you sounded insane," he chuckled.

"Isn't that what rogues are?"

"You're not anymore."

"You still forgot the fact that I had lived as a rogue for quite some time. My instincts tell me to kill everyone on sight. Isn't that fun?"

"Well, why haven't you?"

She went silent. She knew damn well that question's answer.

Not yet.