Chapter 27

A small ball of light lured her eyes from the darkness. However, it wasn't bright or clear. Apart from that, there was a slight vision. Something that she could hold on to, a chance to ameliorate survival.

Everything became slow for her as her new sight empowered her with relief. Before the odd-shaped rock could hit her face, she was quick to maneuver.

~Zainne~ a soft voice echoed in her head.

~Wha...what?~

~Zainne~ the voice was a familiar yet soothing one she never thought would return.

~You're back! How are you? Where have you been?...~ tears brimmed her eyes as the familiar feeling surged: relief, and she hugged herself momentarily. Her wolf had yet to answer when she quickly turned to face him out of excitement.

"Wow. You're huge," taking a step back.

"You can see me?" sounding disappointed from failing his antics but at the same time relieved.

"Not totally," she squinted her eyes at him.

"What do you see then?" He crossed his arm over his chest.

"Well...you're huge, and your chest is glowing dark blue," giving him a scrutinizing gaze.

"How about what's around me?" He gestured to the forest.

"Ugh...I can see white outlines in the trees and bushes. The darker parts were mostly gray."

"You're basically color blind."

"Well, not totally, I think."

"Hm. Shame. You can't see the beauty of your savior," he joked, hearing her chuckle.

"Yeah right, sick face," she looked at the hanging rock. "You intended to knock me down, didn't you?" giving him a wary look.

"No, that's animal sh*t. I changed the rock earlier. Sadly, you dodged it..." he chuckled. "It would have been epic to watch," giving her his dazzling smirk.

"F*cking asshole," she grumbled. "What about farting at my face on that oh so faithful day?" she mocked.

"I was just bored," he laughed. "I wanted to see for myself if you really lost your sense of smell."

"Yeah, well. That didn't end well, did it?" she smirked.

"Putatively, you're not stupid," he praised, and that was enough to boost her ego. She snickered at him.

~Zainne...I want to shift.~ her wolf suggested.

~Where have you been?~ her voice held worry.

~I'm sorry it took so long. I used all my strength to heal you, it took a toll on me.~

~It's okay; I'm glad you're back~ she mentally sighed.

~Me too.~

"You're talking to your wolf, aren't you?" His deep voice entered her mind. "What do you mean there's a dark blue glow on my chest?"

~Oh yeah. Do you know the meaning of his color?~ she asked her wolf.

~Sky blue, blue, or dark blue, means good. Black or dark gray means dangerous or bad. The darker the color, the more powerful they are~ she quickly answered.

~Where do you know all this?~

Her wolf didn't answer.

"Your color held power." There was a brief silence. "You're no ordinary wolf, aren't you?"