20% Better - Chapter 23

Magsimula sa umpisa

Suddenly, I hear a voice from outside the headspace I was trapped in: "Shimmer! Put it away." The voice sounds like Spitfire speaking in her commanding tone. A tone she often uses at practice. I feel my shoulders being rubbed softly.

"Rainbow? Sugar?" She says, bringing me back to a conscious state. I look at her through my rapid breathing. She hugs me once again and says, "It's alright, you're okay," calming my breathing down slowly.

The other three girls make their way over to me, all hugging me over AJ. I feel a lot better in their arms.

"I'm so sorry, Dash. It completely slipped my mind, I-I didn't--" Sunset starts to say as the hug is broken.

"It's fine, Sunset; really, don't worry about it." I reply. "Actually, I have something for you. . ." I continue, leading the other girls over to the couch, with AJ still holding my hand.

"Ooh, I'm intrigued," Sunset says as we arrive at the couch and all take a seat.

I bring the white plastic bag I've been holding onto the table in front of us and take out its contents: a bottle of water, a bag of Doritos, and a small orange tube of medically prescribed marijuana.

"What? How did you--" Sunset says, grabbing the tube with excitement.

"I was referred by my AA coordinator, Cheerilee, to the doctor to see if they could give me something that could help with my cravings. They prescribed me with weed. . .crazy right."

"WHAT! OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!" Pinkie exclaims, yanking the tube from Sunset, who retaliates. "

"Okay, y'all, don't fight over it. It ain't yours, it's Dash's," AJ says, looking at the orange tube with concern as she takes it off the others.

"Shit, RD, that's wild." Spitfire says with a smirk.

"I know, right." I reply as AJ seemingly examines the tube, a troubled look still on her face. "You okay, AJ?" I say to her, amused.

"Huh? Y-Yeah, I'm. . you sure you should be taking this Dash?"

"I mean, the doctor prescribed it to me. I dunno, maybe it'll help."

". . .alright. If it's gonna help you, then I guess it's fine," she says, unsure.

"Hey, if you're not gonna take it, I will." Sunset adds, making herself and Pinkie chuckle.

"How 'bout you take some now, RD?" Spitfire says.

"And. . .possibly. . .we can maybe. . . you know--" Pinkie continues in a calmer, withdrawn tone of voice than usual.

"Ugh, you guys are so annoying. Fine." I say, giving in after little persuasion. It'll probably be more fun if I take it with my friends anyway, so I don't put up much of a fight.

"YES!" Sunset and Pinkie scream in unison. Pinkie I'm not too surprised at, but Sunset isn't usually one to scream in a Pinkie Pie sort of way. Although the only times I have heard her scream are when weed is present, maybe a way of letting her excitement out before she falls back into her overly chilled out state.

"You sure, RD? Only do it if you want to." Spitfire says to my comfort.

"Yeah, why not? I'll enjoy it more with you guys anyway."

Sunset and Pinkie start rolling the joints for the five of us. We each take ours once it's rolled. Sunset and Pinkie light up theirs in no time. Sunset hands one to AJ, who takes it awkwardly between her fingers. She then places it in the palm of her hand, holds it between her ring and middle finger, and places it back in her palm, looking incredibly puzzled by the joint, as if she's never held one before. I grin at her confusion, entertained by her fumbling.