Chapter 27: Reunion

The rain pelted the ground hard, the only sound to accompany Dante during his drive along with his racing thoughts. Thunder echoed in the distance and a flash of lightning illuminated the sky but he persisted--though now thoroughly soaked.

 He had been driving for several hours now, pace far exceeding the posted speed limit. The site of the coastal town came into view and he revved the engine and sped up. He drifted into one of the streets, startling the nearby townsfolk.

 He quickly asked the nearby person where the demons were--a tone that made sure there was time for small talk. A couple directions and a fearful faces later he got the location down. He was gone almost as quickly as he arrived.

It took maybe around 5 minutes until he made it to this infamous cave. Dante pulled up to the mouth, his grip on the car loosening at the site of it. The whole place reeked of death and sulfur. 

The trees swayed in the wind but the forest around here was devoid of all life as the rain came down. He slowly got off, seeing the trail of gore which started in the clearing and dragged into the mouth of the cavern. He eyed the ground, seeing slash marks on the ground and empty shotgun shells. 

There was no doubt about it, you were here. He sniffed the air and the smell of blood was prominent even past the petrichor and fresh earth. It was mixed with demon and...yours. Shit. He pulled out his phone and called your number, but it quickly went to voicemail. Swearing under his breath he readied himself and started walking towards the cave.

Dante started walking down the quiet expanse of the cavern, Rebellion in his hand. He listened to the sound of clattering of steel and the roar of a demon as he traveled deeper in. His eyes adjusted to the dark simply enough and he navigated the cavern tunnels with relative ease, following the trail of demon corpses and ash to guide him to you. 

His slow walk turned into a run when he had heard a blood curdling scream and one fire from a shotgun he knew well. (Y/n)... His sprint echoed down the hall and his eyes widened at the scene before him.

You laid motionless on floor of the cavern, hand outstretched towards your shotgun.

Your eyes were half lidded and dull, with blood smeared across your face and soaked your once nice plain white blouse .

Your hair had been released from its hair tie and covered over part of your face and your veil came off that draped across your shoulders. You looked dead. You weren't breathing.

Behind your body, littered amongst the other corpses was one of the largest monsters he's seen in a while. 

A giant hulking werewolf like creature, slouched and clutching its eye in pain. It was gashed up to hell and back, patches of fur stained in a deep red crimson. Your work. 

It's attention turned to Dante and it let out a low growl as it let go of its eye; revealing a large bullet hole where its eyeball once was.

Dante's feet moved before his mind did, he ran towards you and scooped your unconscious body up in his arms before he could registered what he was doing.

He needed to get you out of here.

He jumped back as the demon attempted to swipe at him and gripped your form tightly, his hands shaking. Landing gently on his feet, the demon hunter brushed some of your hair out of your face and laid his ear on your chest. 

A heart beat. Two. You were still alive, but maybe barely.

His attention was brought back to the demon when it let out an enraged roar.

Dante's eyes darkened at the creature and the frown on his face turned into an equally dangerous snarl. He felt himself shift into his devil trigger; wings sprouting and an ever present heat enveloping him as his skin turns to a hard leather and scales.