Chapter 15: Mallet Island

Dante wasn't kidding when he said he would take you on a shopping spree. You recalled his exact words: "Shop until you drop, babe."

Well, you certainly felt like dropping. You had been grocery shopping  for several hours, browsing through every shop that even caught a hint of your attention.

Your companion was more than happy to encourage you along, spoiling you so rotten that you felt your teeth were going to start falling out with how sugary sweet he has been to you, refusing to let you even pay for your own drink.

You'd found yourself scolding Dante more than once within the span of fifteen minutes. It hadn't been the best idea to take him grocery shopping, but he needed to learn the rights and wrongs of eating healthy. He had reached for a case of strawberries and a sigh passed your lips.

"We have those."

"There isn't enough, you used all of it," he said as he placed the case of fruit into the cart. You couldn't even disagree with him on this one. It was his favorite fruit and without a doubt they'd all be gone within the next few days.

You remained relatively silent as you walked through the produce section with Dante by your side. Each vegetable that had been placed into the cart had caused his face to scrunch in discomfort.

"We don't need any of this crap. It's a waste -"

"All that pizza and beer will catch up to you in no time." You  continued on your way pushing the cart.

A heavy sigh escaped him as he followed after you. "Doubt it."

A pair of eyes that carefully watched you as you bickered with your white haired companion. "Ah seriously." Dante complained as you placed a head of lettuce into the cart. You grumbled in annoyance yourself unaware that Dante's attention had shifted from you to a figure a few sections down.

"You don't even know what I'm going to make. You might even like it like last time." You continued.

Dante remained silent with his hands stuffed into his pants pockets as he walked side by side with you. Surprisingly he hadn't said a word since the lettuce situation. He remained deep in thought with a darkness in his eyes as he gave you only half of his attention. He'd hum in response to something you'd said at checkout even muttered a 'sure' without knowing what he'd committed himself to.

A wistful sigh blew past your lips as you exited yet another store for the umpteenth time that day. Your feet were starting to ache from the miles you had been walking around in your shoes and your wrists were begging for relief with the amount of shopping bags you held. 

Your ears were ringing from the countless noises of voices echoing around the shopping district, throngs of children and adults alike scattered in a sea of bodies surrounding you. For the weekend, the crowd wasn't that bad. Thankfully, you came at a time when there were no important holidays coming up. You could only imagine the nightmarish hellscape it could turn into.

As you lost yourself in a myriad of your own thoughts, you failed to realise Dante sneaking up to you until his cheery voice broke you out of your stupor. Your shoulders tensed before they relaxed when you recognized his familiar voice cooing in your ear.

"Those look heavy." Dante said. "Let me take them off your hands."

You opened your mouth to reply but all that came out was a mild noise of protest as Dante plucked the shopping bags from your grasp. He already had an armful of other bags yet he didn't seem the least bit perturbed as he added to the pile bundled in his arms.