What's wrong with me?

"Radley." Blevine's voice brought my attention to her and I tried to focus on her face. "The things I said I wanted to tell you yesterday ... things about us, about you, about Alaric ... I think now is a good time to talk about them."

Sniffing, I nodded at her as Alaric pulled me against his chest once more, his arms wrapping protectively around my waist.

Blevine took a deep breath, the warm smile on her face never faltering. "We're werewolves, Radley," she said softly. "Me, Conri, Alaric ... and you."

Huh?

What ... did I just hear that right?

"You live in a pack of werewolves, my dear. Every person you meet here is a werewolf." She sat forward in her seat, her face soft, her eyes pleading with me to believe her.

Did I believe her? It was a pretty crazy thing to say, after all ...

A shiver ran along my spine, chilling my skin, raising goosebumps along my arms.

My mind felt funny again and I shook my head, trying to clear it. Was Blevine actually saying what I thought she was saying?

My vision blurred again and I blinked, trying to focus on Blevine ... on her face ... on her words ...

"This morning, when you woke up, you were in lots of pain."

Yes, I was. It was a pain like I had never felt before.

And I never want to feel it again.

"I think that was your wolf trying to ... come out. Trying to get you to shift into his form."

My cheeks felt wet and I reached up to find tears had started to run down my cheeks. When had I started crying?

Taking a shaky breath, I took another sip of tea. Alaric's hold on my waist tightened and I felt him brush a kiss against the back of my neck. One of his hands was tangled in my hair, stroking gently. Comforting.

Yet ... my mind was numbling a little, while my heart hammered strongly and beads of sweat ran along my back.

Alaric's hand was still brushing through my hair and I poured my attention into the way his hand felt tangled in my hair and the reassurance he was offering. His fingers gently massaged my scalp and his lips brushed against my ear. His hold was protective, his skin was warm.

I concentrated on Alaric, on his movements, his body, while my mind seemed to shut out everything else, not really wanting to focus too much on anything other than Alaric right now.

Blevine stood and walked over to the sofa that me and Alaric were sitting on and knelt on the floor in front of us. She took my cup, placed it on the floor, then wrapped both of my hands in hers, bringing my attention to her.

"Radley," she began, her voice soft, her face kind, "I'm telling you the truth. Werewolves are real. And you're one of them." She sighed. "I'm not sure why your wolf didn't want to continue with the shift earlier, or even why he's chosen now to make himself known, but we can help you, Radley." She squeezed my hands. "We want to help you. And Claudia."

Oh god.

"Claudia," I managed to croak, trying to speak over the lump in my throat, feeling my eyes burn once more. "She doesn't know where I am. She'll be worried."

"Conri's over at your house now. He's telling her not to worry and that you're in good hands." Blevine looked over my shoulder at her son, her smile widening. Alaric's lips brushed against the back of my neck again.