Chapter 13

Eda looked at her phone in deep shock. No, it couldn't be true. It couldn't be happening. It was just a dream. A nightmare. One of many she had. 

She closed her eyes, waiting to hear Serkan's voice calling her, telling her to wake up. She waited for his strong arms to embrace her tightly and shook her gently the way he always did when he was pulling her out of her nightmares.

Eda waited and waited, but he didn't come to her.

It was happening. It was true. Her biggest nightmare came back to haunt her and punish her for her mistakes, taking Serkan away from her.

Eda opened her eyes, but she couldn't see anything around her. She was paralyzed. She couldn't move. She couldn't breathe.

The phone fell off her hand, and the sound of shattering glass made her look around the room. She saw Piril approaching her with a worried expression in her eyes. She could see her moving her lips, but she couldn't understand a single word coming out of her mouth.

She looked past the redhead and spotted Kiraz sitting on the floor, hugging and kissing the teddy bear she got from Serkan and never left the house without. 

Eda's lips and hands trembled. The sharp pain shot through her heart, and she gasped for air, feeling there was no oxygen left in her lungs. She couldn't catch a breath. Her lungs were crushed by an invisible rock, and her throat clenched. She put her hand to her neck, trying to open her mouth and inhale but couldn't. She was suffocating.

She didn't even know when the hot tears started to run down her cheeks until the salty taste reached her lips. She could hear distant voices coming to her but couldn't answer. She was behind a thick, blurry glass she couldn't break through. 

The sounds started to lessen. Eda couldn't hear them anymore. She couldn't hear anything except her horrified heart pounding frantically in her chest. She couldn't see anything either. The light disappeared from her view. 

The darkness and empties surrounded her, but the fear and pain didn't go away. 

She was in hell.

* * *

Piril picked up her head and frowned, seeing very disturbed Eda walking into the cafeteria. She raised her brows when she heard a shout that came out of her mouth. Wasn't she just talking with Serkan? Eda would never call him like that.

Piril heard an evil laugh that came from the phone before the line cut, and her stomach turned. She knew that laugh. It has been tormenting her in her nightmares for the better part of her life. 

But it was impossible. She just heard it wrong. It couldn't be him.

She looked at Eda, and her eyes widened after noticing how the brunette's face turned white. Her haunted expression made Piril feel sick.

The sound of the phone hitting the hardwood floor sobered her up to the point that she jumped to her feet and quickly walked closer to her friend.

"What happened? It's everything all right?" She asked in a worried tone. 

When Eda didn't answer anything, Piril swallowed nervously and asked the question she dreaded the most. "It's about Serkan? It's him?"

Eda stayed silent but looked at her with blank eyes, and then her gaze moved up over her shoulder. Piril shooke her gently, trying to break her out of the trance she clearly was in, but to no success. Eda was paralyzed.