Chapter 9: What's wrong?

Nathan POV

Everything seemed so unclear to me. The moment, Nicolas grabbed the collar of my shirt and questioned me if I would stoop that low to seduce his father, I got shattered.

Thank goodness Alice passed by us, so we stopped our fight in the midway and he rushed out of the house. I don't know what Nicolas thinks of me, but I can guess that he thinks I am a whore.

"Alice! Let's play something else", I diverted her attention from what she had witnessed a few seconds back.

We went into her princess room and rummaged through the toys and games she had in her toy box. There were a lot of toys, right from the toy train box, to the Lego set, the cooking set, the Barbie doll, and a few cars.

When I was rummaging, she immediately took her Barbie doll out and held it before me signing that we should play that game. Already I was so frustrated with Nicolas's words, that I found no will to play along with Alice, but that is my job, to keep her company, And Alessandro is paying me only to keep his daughter happy and make her talk. I forced a smile on my face, making a dimple form on my face.

"Can we play Barbie Alice, sweetheart?", I questioned Alice, for which she nodded yes. And I let her be in her world, of beautifying Barbie, by applying makeup to her face and choosing an outfit for a doll from the series of outfits.

I have no experience in interacting with girl kids, but I sure did know they love to play with Barbie dolls, unicorns, and the doodle set. I find the time perfect to text Alessandro, "There is something important I want to discuss with you!"

He was not online, and I waited a few minutes that him would read my test, but no, he was not a free person like me. He has a business to run and makes major decisions, or else he affects the profits of the company.

I watched over Alice, who was patiently combing the hair of the Barbie girl. It was getting late, and Alessandro seemed to never see my text, I took my time to find Alice any other games to play.

I dug deeper into the toy box, I found an old photo frame of Alessandro, Nicolas, Alice, and a woman in her 30's, guess she was the first wife of Alessandro. But someone caught my eye, it was the most familiar face.

An old man in his 40s standing beside Alessandro, griming teeth to teeth, and was putting his hands over the shoulders of Alessandro. I never knew Alessandro was that much closer to anyone. The photo looks not very old, but a few years before, I was ranting my stupid brain to think who that man was and suddenly something striked me, he was the one, who hired me as a gift to Alessandro for his birthday, the man who approached me at the bar.

When I was deeply sunk in viewing the photo, I got a call. It was from Alessandro. "Hello", the voice from the other end said.

"Hey", I replied.

"Is everything all right? Is Alice fine?", his voice bore a lot of concern.

"Yeah....She is good", I answered.

"Thank God.....So, what was the thing that you wanted to discuss?", he asked impatiently.

"Nothing.....We can discuss it when you return home.", I said and hung up the phone.

Alessandro loves Alice more. But I don't know why Alice fears Alessandro. And the thing I wanted to discuss with Alessandro was so much more important, about Nicolas and why he didn't mention him before.

Meanwhile, Alice put on some makeup on her Barbie doll and brought it to me, "This looks so good."

She smiled at my compliment. It was time for Alice's time, so I made her cot comfortable and put her to sleep. "Story", she mouthed.