It's happening!

L A Y L A ' S P O V

I bask in the warmth of the sun hitting my skin, listening to the calming sound of the waves crashing against the shore.

Derek woke me up the other morning and with no warning, said we were going away for the weekend. He already had bags packed and in the car and before I knew it we were on the road and I had no idea where we were going.

Needless to say I was surprised when he drove us up to Maryland to a seaside town where he rented a little beach house for us for the weekend.

We had an amazing few days with nowhere to be or go, able to spend some much needed quality time together. Our phones were put on do not disturb and we were able to give each other our complete undivided attention. After everything that happened over the past few weeks, we really needed it and I'm so grateful Derek did this.

Our weekend was filled with lazy morning in bed, sunset walks on the beach, cracking jokes while we cooked together, cuddling and talking while we fell asleep under the stars, one too many glasses of wine and a very rated r scene involving a sun lounger and a night swim in the sea. Derek threw me over his shoulder so I had no choice really. But now that I'm not shivering anymore, I can appreciate the cute memory.

This time away was absolutely bliss but we're leaving today because the life we managed to forget about back in DC? We have to unfortunately get back to it.

One thing I haven't forgot about though is that ring Derek mentioned. I'm starting to think it doesn't exist. The second I was alone at home, I tore the house apart looking for it but I couldn't find it anywhere. I could have sworn Derek was chuckling to himself when he got home, almost like he knew. The fucker probably didn't even hide it in the house to mess with me.

There has been so many moments he could have done it this weekend. I thought it might happen on one of our many moonlight walks on the beach. We talked a lot about our future and in particular Derek talked about how many babies he plans to impregnate me with. Six he said. I shut that down real quick. I'm agreeing to one, maybe two if the first one isn't an absolute menace. But let's be real, it's going to be half of the both of us, of course it's going to be a menace.

"Layla?"

My breath stops when Derek he calls my name in the distance over the waves crashing in the distance. I brace myself to turn around because I'm convinced every time he calls out to me from behind I'm going to turn around and he's going to be down on one knee.

He isn't. Damn it. He's on his two stupid feet as he makes his way across the sand over to me.

"The cars all packed up," He says, tugging me towards him tightly. "Ready to go?"

"No," I mumble as his lips connect to my cheek repeatedly. I don't want to leave this bubble of bliss we've created here. "Do we have to?"

"Yes." He too takes one last look at the ocean before we start walking back towards the house. "We gotta get back. We have dinner reservations."

My eyes narrow. "We do?"

"We do," He says nonchalantly, intertwining our fingers together as we across the beach.

My suspicion grows as we make our way up the sandy boardwalk. "Where?"

And when Derek says we're going to the restaurant we had our first date at it takes everything in me not to scream bingo.

"Oh my god! It's happening tonight!"

"It's not happening tonight," Derek chuckles as we cross the back desk towards the driveway. "I'm just really craving their steak."