Time for some healthy communication

L A Y L A ' S P O V

As requested, Derek hightails me out of the courthouse the second we get a chance because now that it's all over, I'm really feeling the physical and mental exhaustion I've been pushing through.

Other than the quick I'm okay and thank you's I didn't have much more conversation in me for anyone else today. I didn't even wait for them to return my clothes to me so I'm still in the orange jumpsuit. If we get pulled over, I'm in for a very fun conversation with the police.

"Home sweet home," Derek says as we pull into the driveway. He's out and around to my side of the car before I can even get my seatbelt off. He opens my door, holding out his hand to me. "Let's go."

The first thing I do when I get inside is strip off the item of clothing I will be burning in the fire later tonight and put on one of Derek's sweatshirts that's laying around.

Knowing exactly what I need without me having to say a word, Derek closes the curtains in the living room, turns the fireplace on and the tv for some low background noise and climbs onto the couch, waiting for me to join him.

When I settle in beside him he throws a fluffy blanket over us and if he pulled me any closer to him we'd be fused together and it gives me such a sense of peace and relief I haven't felt in so long.

Derek brushes the hair from my face, watching me with soft, loving eyes. "I missed you so much, Layla."

I know we will talk about everything later, but for now, I pour all my adoration, love and appreciation into a kiss before I'm out like a light, snuggled into his chest.

-

I haven't showered in three days, I have sleep in my eyes and ketchup dribbling down my chin and Derek is still looking at me like I hung the moon.

Derek woke up from our nap before me and when my eyes opened, there was homemade burgers and a glass of chilled wine waiting for me.

I'm on my second burger because one, I can't remember the last proper meal I ate was and two, Derek makes the best burgers.

"I can't wait until summer," Derek says, finishing the last of his burger. "We'll get the BBQ on the back porch. We can have everyone over."

I nod in agreement when I place my plate on the coffee table and move to get up from the couch.

Derek almost jumps out of his skin, stopping me. "What do you need? I'll get it."

I have to laugh. He's so cute. I've been waited on hand and foot since the second we got home. "I need to pee. Don't think you can help with that."

When I get back from the bathroom our plates are cleared away, my wine is refilled and the blanket is open ready for me to rejoin him.

"Okay," I slide in beside him, taking a long sip from my glass. "Time for some healthy communication now."

"Can I start?" Derek asks, chewing on his lip nervously. I nod. "Your trust in me was broken and I get that and I also get that everything isn't going to be fixed with a click of my fingers, so I'm willing to do whatever you need. You want some space? Sure. I'll move into the guest bedroom—"

I have to laugh. "You'd move into the guest bedroom in your own house?"

Derek frowns at me, lacing our fingers together. "You need to stop saying that. This is our house, Layla. Ours."