Chapter 8

It wasn't much of a guess to say he was in the dream of someone from Team RWBY when the four members of said team were fighting for their lives at what looking to be a shipping area on the docks. The water was still in the distance – as in, unnaturally still, with no waves or currents whatsoever – and the night sky was dark. This must have been the events of only a few hours prior to him waking up in the first place, the rescue of Blake, which one of the four must have been having a dreamlike flashback of.

There were White Fang running about shooting and shouting; there was fire spreading from several smashed open cargo containers; there was a monkey faunus that Jaune just flat-out didn't recognise flipping here, there, and everywhere, and there was Blake, running around the back of a container as someone in a white coat fired a gun – a cane? – at her. It didn't look like she was in any immediate danger, and he spotted Ruby on a nearby warehouse shouting something. Meanwhile, Yang was punching way through terrorists and Weiss was dancing among the containers.

It was a messy dream and he couldn't tell which of the girls was the dreamer. The White Fang were content to ignore him as not a part of it all, rushing around him toward a fight they couldn't hope to win. There was no pressing need for him to get involved with Team RWBY handling it all. It was hard to even think of this as a nightmare, though he supposed anything could happen at any moment to make it turn into one.

"I guess I'll stay ready for if that happens. Um. Go Team RWBY? Fight, fight, fight?"

As if his words had brought about disaster, a stray shot aimed at Blake blew up a container near Ruby and caught her mid-sprint. Semblance or no, she was thrown to the ground and Crescent Rose scattered away. The man with the orange hair saw and adjusted his aim, smiling madly. "Goodnight, Red."

"Ruby!" screamed Blake.

The shot hit Jaune's shield about halfway between the shooter and Ruby, exploding off the metal and washing oddly heatless fire back over him. It was strange how he felt the impact but not the fire itself. Blake watched with wide and grateful eyes, and he sent her a quick nod. Rather than ask what he was doing there, she nodded back, turned and sprinted at their enemy, forcing him on the defensive. Jaune loped over to Ruby to see if she was alright, but she'd already snatched up Crescent Rose and she ran past him like she couldn't even see him.

I guess that means this isn't Ruby's dream if she's acting like some kind of NPC. Or, in this case, like the White Fang members dreamed up who didn't react to him either. He wasn't sure as a test if it'd always work to find the dreamer since they could dream another person's reaction to him, but it probably worked now because they were distracted by their own fight and leaving the rest to just play out in their heads.

Blake, Yang or Weiss. It could have been any of them. He hadn't been in Weiss' dreams yet, but Yang certainly worried enough in her own for a dream like this to make sense. He could see her reliving it except with Ruby dying, all due to her self-perceived failure, and leaving her to take all the blame. He could also imagine Blake dreaming it since this must have been a big deal for her at the time.

"I feel like I'm getting better at this. Or maybe this nightmare is just an easier one."

The fight wrapped itself up fairly quickly, the White Fang laying defeated, and the main criminal having fled with a blurry accomplice Jaune couldn't make out. Odds were the dreamer hadn't seen them when this really happened, so they lacked detail. Instead, he watched the four members of Team RWBY meet in the middle of the burning docks. By all accounts, this had gone well last night – or last evening? – with the four of them making up and returning to Beacon in time to meet him in the cafeteria.

It wasn't going so well here.

"This would never have even happened if the two of you hadn't started fighting!" shouted Yang. The targets of her ire were Blake and Weiss. "Ruby nearly got killed over this."