18: Medelling mother-in-law.

****
"Where have you been Denise? I have been searching for you?" Shettima asked. "I was eating in the kitchen," she said hastily. He glanced at Daniella and turned back to Denise, who was looking around. The media they invited were waiting for them.

"Well alright, where is Sheila?" he inquired, looking around the party. "I don't know, I think she is talking to Principal Electra," Daniella answered.

"We will have to proceed because I do not how long you people will be able to stay put." Denise's mouth opened, there was nothing wrong with stating in one place. The way Shettima talked about it was a little unsightly.

"Common," Shettima muttered and helped Denise up to the platform. "Thank you," she smiled and turned to the small crowd of reporters that had gathered. She stood next to her father.

"Good evening everyone, we invited you here today..." he stopped and watched Sheila join them on the platform. She smiled at him and walked behind Daniella and Denise. She placed her hand on both of my shoulders and nodded, signalling for Denise to continue.

"Twelve years ago, my child was taken from us, we did everything to make sure we would find her and the people who took her from us, but we couldn't and for twelve years, we had to live with the tragedy, knowing that our Denise was lost." Shettima's voice softened, he turned to Denise and smiled at them with affection. They had not conversed much but they both had an understanding of what they wanted to do. Daniella watched her father smile softly at her. She felt anxiety crawl through her. That smile was reserved for her. To see her father looking at Denise like her was terrifying.

"A month ago we found her, our investigators found her in a particularly difficult situation and we brought them back to us, where she rightfully belongs. My family is now complete again and this is why we throwing this party because we wish to celebrate the miracle."

The crowd clapped loudly, Shettima pulled Denise and kissed her forehead. He turned to the camera and his wife and Daniella joined them in taking different pictures. After a few minutes, he ushered them down the platform.

"Common, we need to..."

"Shettima Abdul Arabowale!" Shettima froze. He stiffened and turned to who had just called his full name. There she was, his mother, standing in lace the salary of his entire staff. He frowned and sighed. Her make-up looked like she was the bride or the celebrant.

"How could you? How could we hear that you found your daughter?! We are your family." Shettima's mother Elene Arabowale scolded. Shettima sighed, he should have known that Denise would find a way into the party without his invitation. Elene turned to Denise who was hiding behind her father. She looked at her up and down and turned back to Shettima.

"Is that the girl? The one from the slums?" Elene asked, looking over her arrogantly.

"Mother? Why are you here? I made sure you were not invited!" this was not the first time she was referred to as a slump girl, in fact, everyone throughout the night made sure she did not forget where she spent the last twelve years.

"Well since you decided not to invite me, I took the liberty of coming myself." Elene shrugged.

"Mummy," Sheila said with a rough smile, Helene looked like she swallowed her something awful when she heard Sheila's voice. "You are still here? You are still married to her Shettima?" Elene turned back to Shettima.

Shettima sighed, "mother I didn't invite you here, please go back," he begged tiredly.

"Granny!" Elene's eyes brightened up, Daniella had chosen the time to speak up, she walked toward her and hugged her. "Oh my dear, I didn't know you were still alive! Your father and mother here wouldn't let me see you!" Elene said emphasizing on the fact that she was not allowed to see her.