~26~

NamJoon's POV:

"I am no longer afraid to hide things from you guys ever again. My father and Ha-na's father were best friends in high school until college, excelling in everything from science projects to sports. College came around..."

Parents' POV story:

"So...do you really think this project is going to work?" Ha-na's father asked, finishing up the touches on the PowerPoint.

"Yes, I have been studying so hard for this moment. Who knows, this might be the best prototype yet, laying the foundation for a business empire once we graduate," NamJoon's father replied, typing down his notes.

"How do you know if this will even work?" he said skeptically.

"Because this will revolutionize cellphones tenfold! There's nothing you and I can't do."

Presentation time:

"Holographic memory, and even holographic calls! Who needs iPhones anymore?" Nam-Pil exclaimed.

"I even added a built-in GPS tracker for when the phone gets stolen, traceable even when it's off and without the SD and SIM card," he added.

"Well done, gentlemen. I think this is quite an interesting project. Your phone could make you millionaires!" praised the teacher.

After class:

"Kim Nam-pil, Kim Chung-gil, stay please for a minute," the teacher requested.

"Yes, sir?" they both said nervously.

"This prototype, I am quite impressed! I know someone in the industry who might be interested in your phone," the teacher said, handing Nam-pil the number.

"Give him a call and tell him I sent you. I'm interested in your future," he said and walked away.

As they both walked off, Chung-gil seemed excited, but Nam-pil intervened, "Wait..."

"We need to first gather our thoughts and see what we want from it. We need to discuss numbers and investments before making any decisions," Nam-pil said, putting it away.

"Why do you make the decisions and keep the number?" Chung-gil retorted.

"One, I started this project and had the ideas, and two, I did most of the work. You helped because you're an amazing engineer! Let's be smart about this," Nam-pil reasoned.

"The day of negotiations:

"This is the next big thing, I love it," the investor said, holding the prototype.

"So, how much for it?" he asked, taking out a checkbook.

"We want a full launch with our names on it. The phone will be called Holi, and we'll share the chairman enterprise in half so that my partner and I have equal opportunities in our next company. If you want to be part of our business, we can offer you a buy-in for $1.5 million," Nam-pil stated confidentially.

"Not so fast, kid. We need to test out this prototype to see what's best," the investor replied, walking around.

"We did. We had given it to our classmates for a day and collected feedback," Chung-gil said, handing him the chart.

"This is amazing, I think this will be a hit," he said, shaking their hands.

As Nam-pil walked out first, Chun-gil stayed behind.

"Hey kid, come here," the investor said. "That partner of yours is quite bossy. Did he really do all that himself?" he asked curiously.

"It was my idea," Chun-gil said, hesitating.

"Then get rid of him. Talk to me when you come into agreement. I'm all for credits," the man said and left.

As Chun-gil walked out, Nam-pil was waiting for him.

"What took you so long? Let's go eat some chicken to celebrate!" Nam-pil said, wrapping his arm around his friend's shoulder.

The next day:

"Wow, what a view," Nam-pil said.

"It really is," Chun-gil said, preparing for what was coming next.

"Chun-gil... I have something to tell you," Nam-pil said happily.

"What?" Chun-gil asked.

"My Mi-ha is pregnant, and we are getting married. Will you be my best man?" Nam-pil asked.

"What? You're going to be a dad?" Chun-gil exclaimed, happy for him.

As they hugged, Chun-gil continued, "But I can't be your best man."

"What? Why?" Nam-pil asked, confused.

"Because you're dead," Chun-gil said, pushing him off the cliff.

"Chun-gil..." Nam-pil's voice echoed as Chun-gil walked away.

End of story:

"Long story short, my father survived the fall but had amnesia for a while. He regained his memory when he saw his prototype all over the city with Chun-gil's face on it. He spent his days trying to make ends meet for us and protest to his company, but couldn't take it after my mother died and killed himself. I became poor and on my own since," NamJoon said, looking down.

"So all of this started because of Ha-na's father and your father's fight for the Holi?" Hoseok asked, pulling out his Holi-phone.

"You have one? I've been waiting for it to come out for a new version," Yoongi said, eyeing his regular iPhone.

"Wait, have you ever fought for the company? I mean, it is rightfully yours," Jungkook said.

"Well, after school, I worked to buy the stocks, and we've been living with that ever since. Maybe I should avenge my father's death, put that man behind bars, and everyone else too. Put an end," NamJoon said, slamming his fists.

"I owe you an apology. All this time, you were a victim and had lost your father at a young age. You had all this anger. I'm sorry," Taehyung said, hugging NamJoon.

"And I'm sorry about Ha-na... she sounded amazing," Taehyung added, tapping his back.

"It's alright. Let's just get to work and fight for what is rightfully ours. This company is meant to be shared, like what my father wanted, for Ha-na, Suzy, and Jackie," NamJoon said, looking at Jungkook.

"Thanks, hyung," Jungkook said, smiling.