014 - Puzzles, Patience, And Practice

014

— puzzles, patience, and practice —

April 1, 2021

TERRAN WOKE THAT MORNING TO THE CALL OF BIRDS AND THE SOFT SOUNDS OF THE TIDE. She barely had time to change her clothes and step out the door when Valoria raced toward her, gripping her forearm. "Good morning to you too," Terran mumbled, still whipping sleep from her eyes.

"Rachel got in trouble this morning," Valoria whispered. Terran froze for a second before gripping Valoria's arm and dragging her into the quieter hallway. "She was using her magic on Donna, Lydia caught her. She seemed pretty mad."

Terran pinched the bridge of her nose, her eyes screwing shut. "Oh, fuck me," Terran cursed. "Where is she?"

Valoria led Terran to a door adorned with golden detailing, it had been closed seconds ago when Rachel and Lydia stepped inside. Terran ran her finger down the white door handle and Valoria gave her a quick smile before speeding down the hallway. Terran took a breath and pushed open the door, stepping in making Rachel jump.

"Terran, what a surprise," Lydia said with a smile.

Terran smiled and closed the door. "Heard my little bird got in trouble," Terran explained, and Rachel's eyes darted away to the large rock stack, the rocks holding onto each other in an impossible way. "Whoa."

"This is Pnevma," Lydia explained to the girls as Rachel walked around it. "It has existed here on the island since before history. Before memory." Lydia moved her attention to Terran. "The story is that it was built by a god, your father Videl. He built it to represent the human soul." Terran's eyes drifted to Lydia before looking back up at Rachel.

Lydia clapped her hands and the rocks fell to a pile on the floor. Rachel's mouth fell agape as Terran's eyes widened, "Why would you do that?" Rachel squealed.

"This is your Result," Lydia said, crossing her hands. "Designed by me to restore balance where balance has been lost. Rebuild Pnevma in whatever way you can, using every stone."

Rachel looked over the mess of stones. "Is that all?" Rachel asked, motioning with her hands.

"It is," Lydia hummed.

"That doesn't seem too hard," Terran said, trying to offer Rachel some comfort.

"It is nothing more than the task of building a soul," Lydia shrugged and Terran pulled her lips tight. "Begin."

Rachel crouched, digging through the smaller stones as Lydia took a seat on one of the white chairs. "I saw Donna," Terran spoke up. Rachel's head snapped up to Terran, her eyebrows furrowed. Lydia quickly motioned for Rachel to keep working and she cleared a second seat for Terran. "I saw her, and Hank. And they were with some boy named Tim." Lydia took a deep breath and Terran turned to her. "Lydia, believe me."