011 - Chasing Shadows

011

— chasing shadows —

March 28, 3:23 am

THE COLD WIND NIPPED AT THEIR SKIN AS THE BIKE CAME TO A STOP IN FRONT OF THE OLD APARTMENT BUILDING. Hazel pulled her helmet off and Gar unwound his arms from her waist. He pulled his helmet off and stared up at the building. "This the right one?" Gar asked, sliding off the bike and stretching his arms.

"Yeah, I can feel the same energy," Hazel said, nodding. She hid the bike down a dark alley before Gar pushed open the back door and they started to walk up the long stairs. They walked silently down the long hall to apartment number 7. Hazel looked at Gar and she nodded. He knocked on the door twice before taking a nervous breath, taking a small step back. Gar waited another moment before knocking again, quicker this time. Gar looked up at Hazel who offered him a weary smile.

The doorknob started to rattle and Hazel turned to the door. The door creaked open and a woman's hand shot out, tightly gripping a gun she aimed at the pair. Hazel moved in front of Gar and he gasped softly. "It's 3:00 am. Who the fuck are you?" The girl snapped.

"Hi, Molly, isn't it?" Hazel questioned, keeping her tone steady. "I'm Venom, this is Beast Boy. You might have seen us on TV, were Titans. You uh, wrote a letter to Jason Todd..." Gar grabbed the letter from his pocket and passed it to Hazel over her shoulder. Hazel opened the blue paper and presented it to Molly. "It says you want to help him, we do too."

Molly slowly drew the gun back and closed the door. Gar sighed and started to turn but Hazel gripped his jacket and he turned back just as Molly opened the door. She looked up at Hazel and she offered a smile, "Can we come in?"

"Does he talk?" Molly asked as she made space for Hazel and Gar to walk through.

"Normally yeah," Gar nodded. "Just, not with a gun at close quarters." Gar chuckled nervously as he closed the door behind him. Molly's apartment was small, cramped with unique figures and posters. Molly walked to the centre, stopping between her bed and the dining table, half of the table stacked high with books and papers.

"And Jason knows a pair of Titans how?" Molly questioned, standing with her arms crossed.

"We had friends in common," Gar shrugged.

"Had?" Molly challenged.

"It's complicated. Have you seen him lately?" Hazel asked, Gar stopping at her side.

"Not in a while," Molly confirmed. "Last time he showed up here, he found a missing kid for me."

"And he seemed okay?" Gar continued.

"I mean, other than the whack suit? Yeah, tip-top." Molly nodded.

Gar took a deep breath, "Jason's in trouble. We need to find him."