004 - To This Time, This Place

004

— to this time, this place —

THE CANDLES BURNED BRIGHT, THE GOLDEN FLAMES LIGHTING THE OLD OAK WOOD. Hazel and Rachel sat together in the old chapel, tapestries of Christ and The Virgin Mary hanging from the walls. Hazel tapped her fingers on the pew in front of them.

She leaned back and sighed softly. "Dick never hurt you did her?" Hazel asked softly and Rachel shook her head. "Okay."

"Why?"

Hazel shrugged softly. "I just... Haven't seen you that mad in a long time," Hazel reasoned. "And you never told me what really happened. I just wanted to make sure you were okay."

"After I ran away, and after Dick found me in Detroit he took me to his friend's place," Rachel recited, keeping her eyes on the candles burning in front of them. "He was going to leave me with them. Hank and Dawn. Wrote a note, left money."

"And you found it," Hazel said in understanding.

Rachel nodded softly before laughing. "You would have liked Hank," Rachel spoke up, looking at Hazel. "He's a hard ass with anger issues."

Hazel shook her head softly, "I'm glad that's what you think of me."

"He was nice," Rachel said in defence.

Hazel nodded softly and they fell into silence again. The doors at the end of the chapel opened and Hazel leaned back, looking over her shoulder. "It's Dick," Hazel whispered, turning back to Rachel. "Want me to stay?"

"I'll be alright," Rachel nodded.

"I'll be outside." Hazel squeezed Rachel's hand softly and stood, walking down the centre row. She nodded at Dick as she passed him and made her way out into the hall. She paused by the door, watching Dick sit with Rachel before pulling the doors closed.

Kory walked down the hall, spinning a keychain in her hand. "Where are you going?" Hazel asked and Kory stopped.

"Out," Kory said simply. "I'll be back, don't worry."

Hazel nodded softly, "Be safe."

Hazel made her way up the stairs, stopping to look at the stained-glass window of a woman. Her hand outstretched, light pouring from her palm, her hair ghostly white in blue robes. "You've taken interest in the saints I see?" Catherine said walking to Hazel's side.

"I've never seen her before," Hazel muttered.

"She's a new addition," Catherine explained, looking at Hazel, the colours from the glass lighting Hazel's face. "Zelira, the Sun Saint. She lights our world in warmth." Hazel nodded softly. "You don't believe in the faith?"