𝟎𝟏. ( the one with the list. )

february, 1998

february, 1998

"Congratulations, everyone." The homeroom teacher, Mrs. Jang, proudly began as she looked out to the swarm of students at their desks, most tiredly listening to the women's words with their eyes half shut. "I know you all worked very hard last semester, you should be proud of yourself."

Lazily, the room erupted in a slow applause, the clock having just struck eight a.m when the teacher sprung the abrupt news that a student in their class had won a certificate for grading the highest in the year.

Nervously, Kim Nari clenched her fists together beneath her desk, in her lap. She could feel her heart pounding anxiously fast against her chest as she waited for Mrs. Jang to call out the name.

It had to be her.

It had to be.

It just had to be her.

"Kim Nari, come up and receive your certificate." The women announced, grinning widely at the girl who mirrored her expression, standing from her desk, the chairs legs scraping against the floor as her fellow classmates applauded her.

"Thank you." She politely bowed, taking the piece of card from her teachers hand before turning to the class, bowing once again before hurrying back to her desk where her desk partner then congratulated her.

Ever since joining Insul High in 1996, Kim Nari's life had taken a turn for the best.

It seemed that the students that attended the high school weren't like the ones from Heechul High.

They didn't pick on kids for being brainy, or throw paper balls at the back of their heads in mockery. They didn't order them around like a gopher and they certainly did not burn students' arms with their cigarettes.

It was a change for Nari — a good change — and by her fourth month into attending the school, she was already beginning to become her old self once again.

Surprisingly, despite her shy personality, she managed to make quite a few friends, and even though she considered them to be close to her, they'd never be close enough to be able to know the reason for her joining so late into the school year.

She wasn't comfortable telling anyone.

It would be a secret she'd take to the grave with her.

Once Mrs. Jang went over the long list of announcements the eleventh graders paid no interest to, the school bell rang out loudly, blaring through the empty halls indicating that it was time for crossover.