Chapter 85- A Walk In The Forest

CHAPTER 85

A WALK IN THE FOREST

"Monami ne baat kari tumse?" Faizi asked, falling into step next to him as they both got the daily routines checked before they left for the forest.

"Nahi", Karan muttered, annoyed. He didn't even know what he had done wrong. How was it his fault she wasn't stuttering? In fact, how was it a problem at all? Shouldn't she be happy? Why was he being punished by not getting to talk to her? 2 days!

He chuckled. "Are you sure tumne kuchh nahi kara? Monami tumhe avoid kar rahi hai."

He turned his head to glare at him, making the man stifle his smile immediately, although the amusement in his eyes shone bright as a day. He pushed open the door, stepping outside on the porch of the academy. Karan sighed. He was getting tired of the forest training. It was just them today- Sanju being busy with some other classes. The cadets were all there, already packed and ready. They liked the training. His gaze picked them apart, landing almost immediately on her. She was half hidden by Sid, playing almost absentmindedly with the sleeve of his uniform. His eyebrows furrowed. Was she okay?

"Nihaaro mat", Faizi interrupted and he glanced at him. He chuckled. "Aise nihaaroge use toh yeh jo rumors hain ki tum dono ka kuchh chal raha hai, woh rumors nahi rahenge."

He glared at him. "Technically, humaara kuchh nahi chal raha hai." But he kept the interruption in mind. He could not afford to fuel those rumors. He needed to keep his gaze away. They were watching him. Every movement, every part, every glance. Too many and they will be watching her too.

His best friend merely smiled. "Monami tumse naraaz hai, iss baat ka gussa cadets par mat nikaalna."

"Woh naraaz nahi hai", he snapped. "Bakwaas mat kar. Maine kuchh nahi kara hai." He paused. "I hope." Faizi chuckled, patting his back in comfort. He shook his head, walking over to the cadets. Monami's eyes snapped to him, and their eyes met briefly. Almost immediately, she averted them. He exhaled. This was going to be a long day.

---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---

Param sighed, watching the footage of the terrorist being interrogated. They rarely spoke. Nothing that was worth their time. If he wasn't so irritated, he'd probably be impressed at their resolve for not saying anything.

He paused the footage, catching the glance thrown by the man just interrogated. His name was Nawaz. That was all he knew about him. He seemed to be the leader of the group. He rewinded a little, playing the footage again. Yes, a glance. But not just a glance. Tapping. He played the part again.

Param leaned back, exhaling. They were communicating. Morse code. How have they never caught it before? He played the part again, tapping along him as he decoded the message.

WILL GET OUT SOON.

His eyebrows furrowed, and he leaned forward. He decoded it again. No, no mistake. His eyes widened. They were planning to escpae? How? He picked up the phone, dialing the colonel's number. "Sir..."

---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---

She was in the forest. Deep into it. Night had fallen in true earnest. She didn't know the way out. But she walked ahead. She didn't have a choice. She didn't know why but she couldn't stop. The thought of stopping brought her dread. Something would happen- something bad- if she stopped. She needed to go on.

She gasped as she was suddenly weightless for a second, wincing when she hit the ground, her hands out to break the fall. She pushed herself up a little, looking down at where her feet. She gasped, scrambling back. It was an arm. A cut arm. Somehow, she knew it was Laxman's. Karan's informer.