Chapter 39- A Peek In The Pub

CHAPTER 39

A PEEK IN THE PUB

Karan leaned back in the chair, reading over his notes again. "Metal detector", he muttered to himself. He grabbed his laptop, pulling up some pictures of the pub. He hummed again, nodding as the details smoothened out over in his mind.

He grabbed his phone, texting Faizi and Sanju. I have a plan. Free ho abhi?

His phone chimed almost instantly with two messages. He opened up Faizi's first. Class hai humaari 5 minute mein. Class ke baad? Sanju's message was similar, having a class in the next slot. Karan glanced at his own schedule. He sighed.

Lunch ke baad? Usse pehle classes hain meri.

It chimed with two messages- thumbs up from either of them. He kept it aside, picking up the notes and studying it over again.

A hesitant knock on the door made him glance up. He straightened up, seeing Monami linger uncertainly in the doorway. "Monami?" He said in surprise.

"Hi", she muttered. She closed her eyes, shaking her head. "K-Kuchh n-nahi. S-Sorry." She turned away.

"Monami", he called, halting her. He stood up, crossing the room. "Kya hua?"

She turned back to him, nervously fidgeting with her hands. "S-Sab b-busy hain aa-aaj. Th-Thoda h-homework se c-catch up k-karna hai. L-Lunch se p-pehle aur b-baad mein bhi k-koi c-class n-nahi hai so s-sab apne h-hisaab se l-lunch kar r-rahe hain. I... I was w-wondering... a-agar aap f-free hain, toh... l-lunch ek s-saath k-kar sakte hain? B-But it's o-okay a-agar aapko n-nahi karna. I... I d-don't w-want to as-assume." Her eyes widened even more and she took a deep breath.

"Relax, Monami", he said. "Deep breaths. Paani chahiye?"

"I am f-fine", she squeaked. She took a deep breath, blinking up at him.

"You know... agar tum mujhe lunch ke liye puchh rahi ho, iska yeh matlab nahi hai ki main tumhe hi khao jaaunga", he said. She smiled a little, glancing down. "Relax. We can have lunch together."

She blinked. "Y-Yes?" She confirmed.

"Itna surprised kyun ho?"

"Woh k-kabhi k-kabhi aap Kh-Khadoos Shergill w-waale m-mode..." She trailed off. "S-Sorry."

"Khadoos Shergill?" He repeated.

She bit her lip. "Sorry", she said sheepishly.

He turned back, walking back deeper into the room. "I'll take it", he threw out. Her eyes widened in surprise. "Andar aao. Baitho." He sat down on his chair, turning it to follow her with his gaze. "Aur kya kya naam rakhe hain mere?"

She smiled slightly. "You'll h-have to f-find out." She shrugged.

His eyebrows raised in surprise. He leaned forward, a small smile playing on his face. "Matlab aur naam toh hain." She shrugged. He hummed. "Interesting."

"K-Kya? Is m-mein i-itna k-kya interesting hai?"

His mouth broadened into a smirk. "You'll have to find out", he retorted, making her chuckle slightly.

---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---

Param stared at the photo. A 8 year old him grinning at the camera, and nestled comfortably on his father's lap. He looked down at him with a smile, an arm around his middle to hold him in place.

Param peeked out from the crack of the door, staring at the army officials that were in their living room. His mother sat on the living room, sobbing quietly as the men stared at her with sorrowful eyes.