Chapter 62- Worried Rage

CHAPTER 62

WORRIED RAGE

"Karan ko hosh kab aayega?" Colonel Batra asked. He stared at his adoptive son, his throat a little dry. He had seen his own son in a hospital bed once, pale and broken. The last time he had seen him alive.

"Th-Thodi der m-mein aa j-jaana ch-chahiye", Monami said. "M-Morphine ka d-dose kam k-kar diya hai m-maine."

He hummed. He walked closer, gently patting Karan's cheek in comfort. He didn't even stir. The colonel sighed. The door opened behind them. Param.

"Sir", he said. He glanced at Monami. "Mujhe aapse kuchh baat karni hai. Akele mein."

Monami nodded, quickly walking out and closing the door behind herself. "Param", Colonel Batra said. "Tumhe kuchh pata chala? Any leads regarding the spy?"

"He was poisoned through the water bottle", Param said. "Faizi ne kaha unhe lag raha tha ki koi unke kamre mein aaya tha. But... they couldn't see him in the cameras." The colonel nodded. They had told him that. "That's how he poisoned him. Probably."

"Karan ko lagta hai the spy knows how to avoid cameras."

Param tilted his head. "Maybe. Par..." He paused. "Karan aur Faizi ke kamre ka har entrance monitored hai, na? The door, the windows. It's impossible to avoid them." He frowned. "Do you think he can manipulate the cameras?"

The older veteran hummed. "Ho sakta hai. Someone in the security? Or IT?"

"Anyone high enough, actually", he corrected. "They would know how to get around." He sighed, sitting down next to his brother. "They want to put him out of the mission. Karan ne probably symptoms ignore kar diye honge." He clenched his jaw. "Gadha kahin ka." He looked at his brother, studying his face.

'Woh apni information bahut strictly protect kar rahe hain.'

'EFR ke paas zyaada resources nahi honge. So unka poora plan surprise par based hai.'

EFR played on the defensive, unless they were in danger. Working in the shadows were more of their thing. So... why the sudden offense? This wasn't like Laxman. No. They weren't scared. This was calculated.

They were switching to the offense. Which meant they were gearing up for something bigger.

---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---

Monami checked her books, arranging them quickly as she walked back from her class. Karan was stable now, resting up just fine and Faizi had told her to attend her class- taken by Sanju- while he kept watch. She had hesitated before nodding when he had shot her a stern look. One class won't hurt and she was just a few minutes away if anything went wrong.

But she hadn't been able to concentrate all that much. Her mind kept wandering off to Karan and she had been barely able to sit still as the class dragged on, wanting to run back to him and check if something had changed. Had he woken up? Had he even opened his eyes like he had that morning?

She stumbled as she slammed into something. A hand snaked around her waist, holding her up before she could fall to her butt. She blinked, looking up. Abhi.

"Monami!" He said.

She took a step back, attempting a smile. She wanted to go to Karan. She blinked as her brain registered his appearance. Ruffled hair, sweaty skin, and his cheerful face contorted in anxiousness. "Sir."

"I was hoping to meet you", he said seriously. She tilted her head. What was going on? "Karan Sir bimaar hain?"

She paused. Did the news travel throughout the academy? Should she confirm? The special agents had strictly instructed her to keep her mouth shut about the whole event, especially the details. She hadn't had too much of a chance to talk to the cadets to know what exactly the talk was in the academy. "Uh..."