Chapter 80- A Trip Outside

CHAPTER 80

A TRIP OUTSIDE

"Dhyaan rakhna apna", Param said, watching the soldiers check the vehicles. Karan nodded, watching silently. The strange sense of overlooming didn't quite ease over the night, and his fingers rubbed his wrist nervously. "Kya hua hai, Karan?"

He looked at his brother, shaking his head as he watched the cadets pile out, chattering excitedly. "Bas... neend nahi aayi", he muttered. He shook his head when his brother opened his mouth. "Baad mein baat karte hain." He walked away before he could say much.

"Kya hua hai?" Faizi asked, eyeing him as he walked closer. "Tum abhi bhi anxious ho?"

"Haan, thoda sa", he muttered, adjusting the collar of his uniform. He paused. "Sun... extra weapons rakh. Aur ammunition."

His best friend stared at him for a moment. "Okay", he said finally. "Raghav se baat karein hum?"

"Main... Main karta hoon. Tu bas weapons dekhle. And tu andar cadets ke saath rahega. Main aur Sanju bikes par. I need some air. Theek hai?" Faizi nodded without much of a protest, walking off and Karan shoved his hands in his pockets, walking over to Raghav, who was talking to someone. It was the first time all three of them were out together after Sayed's death, and Raghav wanted to make sure nothing could possibly go awry.

"Sir", Raghav said, turning his attention to him when he walked closer.

"Raghav, koi security concern lag raha hai?" He asked. The younger male shook his head. "Ek kaam karo. Have a backup team be on standby."

Raghav's eyebrows furrowed. "Sir, aapko koi dikkat lag rahi hai kya? It's just training, na? Toh... backup kiske liye?"

"Sab theek hai", he dismissed. "Just get this done."

"Sir." He nodded.

"Karan!" A voice called and he glanced up, finding Faizi walking over. He nodded to Raghav, moving away from him. He held out a clip and he nodded in thanks, accepting it. "Tum itni chinta mat karo. Yeh sab precaution hai." He exhaled, nodding. Faizi gave him a sly smile. "Why don't you go and talk to Monami? Shayad she'll help you relax."

He rolled his eyes. "Abhi toh uske paas jaakar aur nervous ho raha hoon bas", he said, running a hand through his hair. "I don't know how to behave around her, bhai." Faizi chuckled, patting his back gently. He sighed, glancing towards the cadets. Monami was leaning against the truck, listening to the others talk.

"Nihaarna band karo", Faizi said quietly, his lips upturned in amusement. Karan's gaze snapped to him. He was... staring? "Bahut log hain." He let out an exhale, shaking his head and turning away. He was just not going to look at her.

---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---

Faizi was a little uneasy. His skin itched, like something was crawling underneath it and he glanced out of the truck, taking in the jungle. EFR was good at disguising. He couldn't see any movement, nothing beyond the slight, natural rustle of the leaves from the wind or the occasional animal. And he settled uncomfortably. It was probably just Karan's anxiousness rubbing off on him.

"Faizi Sir ji?" Bala asked, and he glanced away from the window. "Aap kahan khoye hue ho?" He shook his head, glancing at Karan and Sanju who followed on their bikes before dismissing the thought and turning his attention back to the cadets. "Sir ji, aapko gaadhi chalaani aati hai?"

He frowned at the unexpected question. "Haan", he said. "Kyun?"

"Mujhe seekhni hai", Bala said. "Aap sikhaoge? Yahan sabko aati hai. Iss Hashtag ko bhi aati hai. Mujhe nahi aati."