Chapter Twenty-Six: Idalia

Start from the beginning

My steps falter as a hand wraps around my waist, pulling me out of my focused stride. I turn to face the source of the interruption, my gaze meeting the eyes of an older man with gray, fading hair. "You for sale, baby?"

Suppressing the urge to recoil further, I force a polite smile onto my lips, masking the revulsion churning inside me. "Oh, please," I retort with a hint of playful sarcasm, mustering up a flirtatious tone. "I'd be far too expensive for you."

As the men around him chuckle, seemingly amused by my response, one of them speaks up, his voice laced with curiosity. "What's your name, sweet thing?" he inquires, his gaze lingering on me expectantly, eager for a response.

"Maybe I'll tell you when I'm done-"

My words trail off abruptly as my gaze is drawn to a small line of people across the room, on the other side of the walkway leading to the stadium. I must have missed it when I entered; it could have been easily concealed amidst the crowd, but now, with fewer people present, it stands out like a beacon.

As I sweep my eyes to the front of the room, I observe a group of three people stepping onto an elevator. It dawns on me that this must be the entry we missed earlier, and it's likely the elevator that leads to the balcony. With renewed focus, I tune into my senses, focusing my attention on the second group of people chatting nearby, anticipating their next move as they wait for the next elevator.

"...said to have special blood."

"A human?"

"That's what they said, but-"

"Done with... what?" I tear my focus away from the scene unfolding at the elevator and redirect my attention to the older man who still has his arm around my waist, his chuckle breaking through my concentration. "Where'd you go, little lady?"

My breath catches in my throat as his hand trails down, groping my ass roughly. Despite the discomfort, I force a tight-lipped smile, masking my revulsion with feigned politeness. "Oh, excuse me," I murmur, feigning an apologetic tone as I quickly pull away from his touch. "I really must excuse myself. Too much champagne, you know." I press a hand to my stomach before gesturing towards the line of people across the room. "I believe the bathroom is over there."

I suppress a surge of anger as the man holding me scoffs, his hand dropping away from me with a dismissive gesture. "Have some class, would you?" he retorts, his tone dripping with condescension.

God forbid a woman needs to piss.

Bowing my head, I rush out an apology before swiftly ducking behind another group of men standing idly by in the lobby. No one pays me any attention as I draw closer to the line of people. But as a familiar face comes into view, I come to a halt.

As I stand frozen in place, I overhear one of the men by the elevator addressing the dark-haired girl, his finger tapping on her shoulder. "Is she the only bloodsucker here tonight?" he inquires, his tone laced with curiosity.

My heart skips a beat as I recognize her- it's the woman Avalyn tried to save. I believe her name was Amoret.

"No, there's a male already down there. I think he's booked for the night. I'm going to drop her off, then I'll come up," another man says, tucking the petite woman beneath his arm.

A sinking feeling settles in the pit of my stomach at his words. A male... it has to be Aren. A wave of heat washes over me, accompanied by a surge of anxiety.

Booked for the night?

The thought of what Aren might be enduring at this very moment propels me forward, overriding any semblance of caution or careful planning. I had resolved to proceed with caution tonight, to approach every move with deliberate intent, but in this moment, all of that goes out the window. I prepare to take a step forward, ready to confront every man in that elevator and fight my way to wherever Aren is being held. Everything hinges on this moment- I must find a way to reach him and devise a plan to escape. However, before I can even move, a firm hand wraps around my wrist, stopping me in my tracks.