Chapter Twenty-Two: Avalyn

My senses flicker in and out of focus, assaulted by the harsh glare of the fluorescent lights that seem to amplify the sterile ambiance of the room. Bound tightly by the unforgiving leather restraints, every move I make feels like a struggle against an unseen force, each breath a reminder of my captivity.

The passage of time is uncertain, but judging by the ache in my limbs, it has likely been hours, if not days. Consuming Aren's blood has left me feeling significantly stronger. The ache of being still for so long is there, but there's also a newfound energy buzzing throughout me. I never anticipated that vampire blood would affect me in the same way as human blood, but then again, I've never been quite the average vampire.

I'm uncertain if Dr. Gaven is aware of this. In his recorded observations, he noted that the results were inconclusive. Frankly, I didn't provide him with much material to analyze. Apart from the bite marks on my wrists, I lacked any significant injuries to showcase accelerated healing. As I felt my strength returning, I chose to pretend to still be under the influence of the drugs. With the euphoria from the bites and whatever he injected me with, there was little need to feign it convincingly. I doubt he pursued further tests, but truthfully, my memory of that time is foggy.

It seems Dr. Gaven was able to determine that my blood aided in healing and strengthening Aren. However, he seemed to dismiss it as inconsequential. I can only speculate that due to my lower proportion of human DNA compared to that of a human, the effects of my blood are significantly weaker. If they believed my blood posed a threat, they probably wouldn't keep me confined with other vampires, as it could potentially give them enough strength to break free.

Dr. Gaven must have dosed me with something potent soon after because I can't recall how I lost consciousness. But after being bitten by Aren, everything becomes a blur, and it only seems to blur further when I bit him. It's like I was riding some euphoric wave, lost in sensations I've never experienced before. It's a strange feeling, being under the influence of vampire blood, especially considering my own hybrid nature. I wonder if Dr. Gaven has any inkling of the potency of my blood, or if he's just as clueless as he appears to be.

Dr. Gavens seems relentless in his pursuit to transform me into the cure, so my only glimmer of hope lies in his willingness to set aside that particular test. If I can just find my way back to my cell, perhaps I can persuade Aren to provide me with more of his blood, enough to fortify my strength. With that strength, we could engineer our escape from this hellish place. But it has to be executed flawlessly; any misstep could mean the end of our chances. If they catch wind of my ability to gain strength from other vampires, they might isolate me further, rendering our escape all the more difficult.

My head falls to the side, and I search the room, expecting to find Aren again, but instead, my gaze lands on another man. It doesn't take me long to recognize him- he's the same man from the party, the one I promised to free. I'm puzzled as to why he's here, but it hardly matters. If I can get off this medical table and return to the cells, he's just another person I can liberate along with me.

I survey the scene before me, noticing that the man appears to be far from lucid. His eyes are glazed over, mouth agape, with drool streaming out. I cringe, hoping that the drugs they administered to me didn't induce the same reaction. The mere thought of Aren witnessing me in such a state floods me with embarrassment. His sharp powers of observation make the idea utterly mortifying. However, given his peculiar nature, he might just find me drooling all over myself to be endearing.

Strangely enough, I think I'm starting to develop feelings for him- whether those are romantic or not, I don't know. But with each passing day in this place, those feelings only seem to grow. I suppose being trapped here, it's inevitable to bond with the others. Trauma has a way of bringing people together.