Chapter Thirty Eight.

Lizzy's pov:

"Oh! I thought I heard voices." Mom grins at me along with Paul as Lucas and I head downstairs.

"Mom?" I utter. "Paul?" Lucas asks. "Shh!" I hit his tummy and grin at her. "Uh, Lucas was just leaving."

"Nonsense! Come. Let's have some coffee before you take off." Mom grins, sitting down on the couch. Lucas stares at me nervously before nodding towards my mom.

"Liz, go make some coffee." I do as I'm told, rushing with four cups of coffee. I sit down on the couch next to Lucas and mom grins at me.

"Well, I'm glad I can finally talk to you, Lucas. You know, since you always like to leave through the window."

My cheeks burn with embarrassment as I glance at Lucas who chuckles confidently. "I'm sorry, Mrs. Smith."

"It's alright. Next time just use the door. Anyway, this is Paul. My boyfriend." Mom grins at us as Paul grabs her hand and squeezes it lovingly.

"This is my boyfriend, Lucas." I grin, awkwardly. "Oh that's swell." Paul utters.

"Isn't he the boy who broke your heart three weeks ago?" Paul asks with a look on his face.

"I-" I start saying something but Lucas interrupts.

"I'm sorry I did that to Lizzy. But we're moving forward and I'm doing my best to be better for her." Lucas smiles, genuinely and leaning over to grab a cup of coffee.

"That's great." Paul smiles and looks at my mom. "Lizzy, I'm glad you're feeling better. I know you've both had some ups and downs but now I'm glad you're happy. Both of you." Mom says.

I smile and look at Lucas who's smiling back at my mom. "Thank you, Mrs. Smith."

We drink in silence before Brandon walks in through the door, dropping onto the sofa. "I'm spent!"

"Good, you're all here." Mom says. "What's going on?" I ask.

"Well, Paul and i have been talking and....we've decided we want to get married." She smiles at us before smiling at Paul.

"What? Seriously?!" I ask, grinning wide. She nods and takes out the ring he had given to her. "oh! I'm so happy for you guys!"

I hug her tight and i sit down looking at Brandon. "Mom...I don't know what to say." He says.

"You can say, yay." Mom smirks. Brandon chuckles and stands up to hug them. "I'm happy for you guys. You deserve the best."

"I know it's a rush. But i feel like I don't wanna waste any time. I'm happy. I want this. We both do."

"Congratulations to both of you. I'm happy for you." Lucas says, grinning at them and hugging my mom.

He sits next to me and grabs his hand. "Thank you, Lucas." Paul says.

Brandon grins, all alone on the couch sighing. He smirks at me and gives me a thumbs up.

She's happy, guys. She's finally happy.

***

"I'm so happy for your mom." Lucas says. "Me too. She deserves the best."

Lucas holds my hand and kisses my forehead. "I love you." He leans forward and whispers into my ear. "Someday it's gonna be us. And I'm never letting you go."

"Lucas!" I pull away and he chuckles, kissing my cheek.

"Bye, sweetheart."

"No. Stay over, please." I frown.

"I gotta go. I'll see you in school tomorrow. I promise." He cups my cheeks and kisses me softly, pulling me closer to him.

"I love you. I'll call you later. Bye."

He walks out the door and i head back to my room.

"He loves you like crazy, Liz." I stop halfway, staring at Brandon as he stands in front of his door.

"Yeah, i know."

"He's a good guy. I'm glad it happened." "Are you okay?" I ask, walking towards him.

"I'm okay. Madison met someone else." "I'm sorry, Bran." I frown.

"Don't worry. I'm gonna be okay."

I smile at him. "Call me if you need anything. I'm right next door." He chuckles and nods. "Sure thing, Liz, goodnight."

"Good night, Brandon."

He closes his door and I sigh, frowning. Poor guy. I hope he's gonna find his person one day. He deserves it. More than anything.

I lay on my bed and close my eyes, ready for bed. The window slides open and I look up to see Lucas grinning at me.

"I'm staying. I know your mom said to use the door but even windows are acceptable too."

I laugh as he falls into my arms. "I'm so glad you're staying." "I'd like to stay forever if I could." I chuckle and kiss his head.

I close my eyes, drifting off to sleep, every pain I've felt in my life wearing off. If I'm getting my happy ever after, i only want it with him.

***