Chapter Thirty Seven

Ava swam up to the steps in the pool at their Italian villa and smoothed her hands over her wet hair as she stepped out, dressed in a black bikini. The weather was beautiful, the sun was shining, and the kids were both napping.

Sebastian smiled salaciously as he laid back, reclined on a beach chair. He kept his hands resting behind his head, tanning in the warm sun. "Having fun, beautiful?"

She smiled as she lowered her glistening body onto the lounge chair beside him. "I'm having a wonderful time, Papi," she answered, slipping on a pair of dark sunglasses. "How about you?"

"Just relaxing in the sun," Sebastian sighed. "Although I'm glad the kids decided to nap all at once. Luca was a bit cranky this afternoon."

"I think it's the time difference. He's not used to it and he's tired," Ava said with a soft sigh. "The sleep will do him good. And it gives us a little alone time."

Sebastian nodded. "Jet lag isn't for the faint of heart."

"No, poor papito doesn't understand why we told him to sleep on the plane," she mused with soft laughter. Reaching out, she smoothed her hand over his arm. "Do you want some wine, Papi?"

"Wine sounds good," Seb agreed. "Some of the pino we got while we were out?"

"Si, I love that one," Ava agreed. "We'll have to get more before we go home. There's something different about Italian wine."

"Yes, there is," he agreed. "I think it's the climate the grapes are grown in."

"I'll be right back," she said as she climbed off of the lounger to get the wine from the fridge inside. She picked up two glasses and carried all of it back outside before setting it on the small table between them. She then poured each of them a glass.

Sebastian smiled at Ava, completely content. "Ava. Are you happy?"

She glanced across at him, a smile adorning her face. "Si, Papi. Very happy," she answered. "Why do you ask?"

"I just wanted to see. I know your life has changed a lot since we met. It can be staggering."

Ava took a sip of her wine as she considered his sentiment and she nodded. "It can be... I spent years hiding, trying to be invisible... and now look. It's hard to trust, still, sometimes."

"It's understandable. You've been through some very drastic things in your life, but you've always come on top in the end."

She smiled thoughtfully as she took another slow sip of her wine. "I suppose I have," she agreed. "I just... I hope maybe I can help someone, someday. Someone like me."

"Your story has reached a lot of people. You may be already helping someone," he said softly.

"I can only hope so," she mused. "If we get any calls for interviews, I think I should do them. Embrace the attention and use it for good."

Sebastian gave her a proud smile, feeling his heart swell. "Of course. Anything you want."

"Look at me... who am I?" she asked with a bright laugh. "I can't believe I'm even saying things like that."

"You've come a long way," Seb agreed. "I will support anything you want to do."

"I guess the world is my oyster... that's the saying, yes?" she asked, wrinkling her nose a little. "You look warm, Papi, you should cool off in the pool."

Sebastian smirked. "You just want to see me wet."

She giggled with a guilty grin. "That's one of the things I want, si," she said.