Chapter Eighteen

In the morning, Ava slipped out of bed quietly to allow Sebastian to sleep. She threw on a matching pajama set with a tank top and a pair of shorts before she made her way out into the apartment.

She made coffee and sat at the kitchen island flipping through a magazine until she heard smaller footsteps. Luca. Her smile grew as she waited for him to appear. "Buenos días, mi nino," she greeted.

"Buenos días, Mami," he replied, rubbing his eyes. "Can I have some breakfast please?"

"Of course, what do you want? I can make eggs, or a bagel or toast..."

"Bagel, please," he asked as he too climbed up onto a stool.

Back in the bedroom, Sebastian woke, hearing Ava talk to Luca while fixing breakfast. It made him smile. The house isn't so quiet anymore. He sat up and stretched before he stood and changed into a pair of sweats and a t shirt. Once he was clothed, Seb quickly got out the ring from his jeans and stashed it in a special place before walking down the hall.

As Ava placed a bagel in the toaster, she turned back around to see Sebastian and her smile changed. "Good morning," she said gently, moving over to the coffee pot to pour him a cup.

Luca turned around and smiled at Sebastian. "Morning!" He always had so much energy in the morning.

"Can I get anything started for you for breakfast?" Ava asked, leaning in against the counter.

"Only if you want to," Sebastian answered. "I could help?"

"I'm having a bagel," Luca shared.

"Well, I was going to make eggs for myself, can I interest you in that?" Ava offered, taking a few steps over to Seb and wrapping her arms around his waist.

Sebastian smiled and placed a chaste kiss to her lips. "Eggs sound perfect."

She returned his kiss lightly before she released him to go to the fridge. The bagel popped out the toaster and she set the eggs on the counter before going to prepare it for Luca.

"The bagels here are different than at home," the young boy observed as he waited for his breakfast. "I like 'em better. Can we take some home, Mami?"

Ava glanced at Sebastian for a moment, giving him a small smile before she leaned against the island to look at Luca. "Speaking of home... what would you think about maybe... moving to New York?" she asked him, glancing back at Seb to nod for him to come join them at the counter.

Luca's brows furrowed. "Like, live here? Where?" he asked, glancing between the two adults.

"Here," Ava replied with a soft laugh. "With Sebastian."

His expression completely dropped as he began to put things together. He turned to meet Sebastian's eyes. "Really?"

Sebastian smiled at Luca brightly. "If you want to," he assured. "We would be a family. Together."

The expression on the young boy's face spoke to how mind blown he was. It took a few seconds, but he glanced back to Ava again, back and forth a few more times. "A family? Like... like if you were my dad?" he asked, vulnerability clear in his previous face.

With a quiet breath, Sebastian walked around the island and sat beside Luca. "I know I'm not your real dad. But... if you are okay with it, I can take that place in your life. It's up to you."

Eyes wide, Luca hung on every word. Turning his eyes back to his mother, he saw her watery smile and she nodded gently. "It's okay," she murmured to reassure him.

He looked back at Sebastian, expression wavering into a nervous smile. "I... I don't want my real dad," he said as he met the man's blue eyes. "I want you."