Chapter Two

When Luca returned home from school, she shared the good news: movie night would be one of the Avengers movies he'd been asking to watch! His reaction made her feel like Mother of the Year and as they sat down to watch Captain America: The First Avenger together, a familiar face caught her attention early.

She was hooked. She wanted to know what would happen to those beautiful blue eyes on the screen, and when he fell from the train, admittedly she felt her heart sink. She'd come to like Bucky Barnes. There were so many other movies to watch, Luca reminded her as she tucked him into bed that night.

As she settled back onto the couch, legs curled up beside her, her eyes fixed on the name in her phone. Seb. She chewed on the inside of her lip, debating whether or not it was too late to message him or if she even really should. She'd told him she'd text him, though, so she opened a message and typed.

Ava: How dare you make me watch a movie that you die in. How old were you when you made this movie? Twelve?

Sebastian was sitting on his hotel bed, thankful that his night would be commitment free. He'd just changed into his sweatpants and a t shirt when he heard his phone go off, causing him to get it off the nightstand. The message made him smile and quickly add her number and name into his contacts.

Seb: I was twenty seven. But the series has two more movies, so don't feel so disheartened.

Resting back against the arm of the couch as the television flickered, Ava couldn't help the smile that crept onto her expression.

Ava: Don't you have to say spoiler alert before you say something like that? I'm glad Bucky Barnes will be back, though. He's pretty cute.

Seb: I just said there are more movies to see. I didn't spoil anything. Although you might want to watch Avengers before you watch the second one.

Ava: Apparently there are plenty left to watch! I may have opened a floodgate I'm not prepared for.

She laughed softly to herself, already able to hear Luca's excitement about watching the others.

Ava: How was your press?

Sebastian grinned and leaned back on the bed, putting one hand behind his head.

Seb: It was fun. It was a pretty unique interview. But yes, there are plenty of Marvel movies to watch. Almost all of them connect in some way.

Ava: Wonderful. Now I have all kinds of homework to do to be a "cool mom"

She chewed on her thumb nail absently as her eyes held the screen.

Ava: When do you go back to New York?

Seb: I'll be here for a couple more weeks before I go back home for a little time off. What kind of homework? Are you in school?

His interest in her life was so new for her. She had survived the last few years blending in, being another face in the crowd. Having this man ask her questions stirred up nerves in her stomach but also it felt... like just for a little while, someone saw her.

Ava: I wish I could go back to school. It's just not in the cards for me. I have a half-finished degree, but it wouldn't do me much good these days anyway. So for now, I'll work where I can.

Seb: You mentioned homework, so I thought I would ask. What degree were you going for? If you don't mind telling me. I don't want to overstep.

Ava: Art History 🤦🏽‍♀️ So useful in the real world!

Her decision to accept a scholarship to attend college has upset her family. She belonged at home where they could take care of her, where she could help take care of them. Family mattered above all else. She found that ironic now.