Chapter 53

Hi! Thank you so much for reading :) 

I'm so sorry for the time between updates. 

I knew what I wanted to write, but not how I wanted it to go. I know this is a very short chapter, but more will come soon. Promise!

As always, Stay safe and take care! ~CANGEL

***

Scarlet Wolfe

     Scarlet sits on the hard wooden chair in the dining car of the train, that is now moving full steam ahead away from District 4 and towards District 3. Scarlet was ready for the train to turn around and go back home. Unfortunately, that wasn't in the cards today. They would be stopping briefly in District 3. Then 2 and 1. And then, the Capitol. There would be a final feast there. Then Scarlet would head back to District 14, where she would stay for the next six months until the next reaping.

     Scarlet eats a chicken broth soup that had a few vegetables in it. Carrots, celery, onions, with small pieces of chicken. Scarlet rather liked this particular dish. It was a little salty, but light and filling at the same time. She didn't feel very bloated after eating it all, which is what she felt like when eating the food made of grains here at the Capitol. She assumed it was because it wasn't what she was used to eating back home, but even if it was better, she couldn't stand the feeling of being so heavy. It made her feel slow and sluggish.

     She paused mid bite as Penelope sat down across from her. Her back was perfectly straight, and Scarlet fought the sudden desire to match, keeping her back slouched and her elbows on the table as she hovered over her bowl.

     Scarlet noted that Penelope's face had been returned to full 'Capitol Garb', caked in scarlet red power, with even redder lips. Her wig had been replaced with a new one, black powdered hair in careful curls stacked high up on her head. Like a tower? Scarlet would never understand fads or the fashion of the Capitol. Penelope hadn't been at the feast in District 4, and now Scarlet wondered if that had been her choice, or it had been a sort of punishment for not keeping Scarlet on a tight enough leash.

     "You know you looked better without all the make-up on." Scarlet says back with no inflection. She wasn't trying to be mean, but she wasn't trying to be nice either.

     Normally, she would look away, letting whatever response she was given fall on her deaf ears, but this time, she kept her eyes on Penelope, willing to engage in a conversation. Scarlet's face didn't hurt anymore, but she could still feel the echo of pain on her cheek where Penelope had slapped her. 

     Whatever needed to be said between them should just be said. 

     Scarlet didn't like feeling guilty for pulling her into the sea. And maybe Penelope felt bad about slapping her. Scarlet didn't know. She just would rather it go back to how it was before. Mutual hatred and nothing grey about it.

     "You know I never liked you." Penelope says back. Her puckered lips, purse more and her chin tilts up. One thing about Penelope that Scarlet didn't exactly hate—well, one thing that she could appreciate about Penelope, was that she wasn't one to back down from a fight. Even if she simply chose to use her sharp-tongued insults instead of fists.