Chapter 49

***TRIGGER WARNING: super sad content that pulls at the heart-strings.***

You have been warned, we'll talk after. 

***

The Avox

     The girl took the rest of the Victory Tour by storm. Aside from the unexpected hiccup in District 12, Scarlet Wolfe had managed to capture the scorn of nearly every district while capturing the attention of every person in the Capitol. They loved her from afar. Fascination shined in their eyes as they watched raptly from the safety of their rooms, couches, or viewing rooms. All eyes were on the girl now known as the Wicked Wolfe of District 14, as she flaunted and flashed and dared to be so bold under the banner of Panem.

     This is perhaps the only reason she was left alive. She never gave mercy or offered pity. And even though she stirred countless restless hearts as they watched her act so freely, aching to do the same, there was not a soul that dared to follow Scarlet's bold actions as there was no love or loyalty towards the girl herself.

     Perhaps, if things were different. If Scarlet had been raised in a loving home. If she hadn't been forced to face her own brother in the Arena. If she still had someone at her side who she could trust. Perhaps then, she could make a difference in the world in which she lived in. Perhaps then she would care to make a difference in the lives around her.

     But then of course, perhaps the girl would already be dead.

     No.

     It was better this way.

     Why should any more burdens be placed on the shoulders of a twelve year old girl. A twelve year old child? Even if she could no longer be a child in any other way, she should be allowed to be a child in this way. The whispers and murmurs of dissension and plots of rebellions should not be Scarlet's concerns. The Capitol has taken enough from her. How could they ask anymore?

     It was good that Scarlet was selfish, even if the selfishness stemmed from a spirit hardened by burdens a child should never have been exposed to. Her selfishness would stop her from being used. Her selfishness would stop her from becoming a tool. Her selfishness was her only protection. It was her shield. And it was likely what would save her life.

     She stared at her reflection in the empty TV screen for just a moment. As always, her reflection took her by surprise. What had once been soft and sleek brown curls, were now coarse and dull. Her hair was cut to shoulder length and held by a simple band at the nape of her neck. Her brown eyes were dull too. Hopeless. Her body had once been tall and strong, was now lean and thin and wrapped in blue rags.

     But still, deep within her, pride welled for the girl who had been on the screen just moments before. She had won. She had not died in that Arena. She had not faltered or hesitated. She had never given up, even when it had seemed every odd was stacked against her.

     There was still concern about her future though. Even if she wasn't turned into a tool to be used for the rebellious plots and plans, there were other threats. Even if she was not a threat to the Capitol, her willfulness would still be crushed and brought to heel. Her selfishness might save her from becoming a tool to be used against the Capitol, but it would not save her from being used by the Capitol.

     President Snow would never leave her alone. Not until she was well within the palm of his hand and under his complete control.

     The girl would never submit willingly though. It wasn't in her nature. President Snow would use her and teach her lessons to keep her in line. Slowly, she would lose pieces of herself until she wasn't herself anymore. Until she was broken. And then President Snow would discard her.